In this article you will find:
Super premium dog food is the latest thing for your dog’s diet. Instead of mass-produced bagged or canned food, you order online from a list of recipes that are then handcrafted, portioned and sent to your door. The two largest vendors for human-grade, super premium dog food are NomNomNow and Ollie.
In this review, we will examine the two brands to find out which one is better for you and your pup. We will compare their recipes, ingredients, processes and feeding schedules. By the end of this article, you will have a better understanding of super premium dog foods and which direction you should go.
Who Are Super Premium Dog Foods For?
Almost anyone with a dog in their family will benefit from these food services. In particular, you should look into them more if you:
- Want a dog food with limited ingredients.
- Have health and allergy concerns with your pets.
- Don’t mind storing your pet’s food in the refrigerator along with your food.
- Want a consistent diet for your pup without constant trips to the store.
Who Are Super Premium Dog Foods Not For?
The list is fairly short, but you may not find that these food services are the best fit for you. This is especially true if you:
- Have pets that are very picky eaters, and a new trial and error process is out of the question.
- Have a veterinarian recommended food that serves a certain purpose for your pet.
- Don’t have time or patience to wait for orders to arrive in the mail.
NomNomNow vs Ollie Brand Comparison
Let’s take a look at each service side by side in various categories. You can decide for yourself which one is a more attractive deal for you, or which one won’t work out the best for your situation.
The ingredients are quite possibly the most important aspect of these food services. They share a few things in common (such as limited ingredients lists) but also have a slightly different viewpoint on additives and their usefulness. Let’s look.
Ollie is very open about their ingredients, which is a fresh approach considering there is a lot of chances to exploit loopholes in the FDA requirements when it comes to canine suitability. Ollie uses only fresh, human-grade ingredients and keeps the number of ingredients to a minimum.
Each of their meats come from grain-free farms in the United States (except for the lamb, which comes from US farms as well as Australian farms.). Their meats include chicken, turkey, lamb, and beef.
The vegetables are also farm raised and naturally sourced from US farms. Depending on the recipe you will find things like sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, kale, white potato, spinach, and squash.
You will also find vitamin enriched foods as well. These are designed to add flavor as well as vitamins and minerals the dogs need. Included in this list are chia seed, cod liver oil, salt, sunflower oil, and fish oil.
When it comes to ingredients, Ollie promises there are no fillers (soy, corn or wheat), no preservatives, no artificial colors or dyes, and no artificial flavors.
on your First Order
NomNomNow (NNN) also uses fresh, sustainable ingredients and farm raised meats. While they are a little more tight-lipped about where their farms are located, we do know that most of them are in the United States. What is important though, is that all of their ingredients are FDA approved for human consumption.
Their meat is also grain-free, hormone free and highly nutritious. You will find chicken, turkey, beef, and pork on their recipes.
The vegetables they use are natural, farm raised and harvested for freshness and flavor. Each recipe uses different veggies, though you will be able to find such items as white potatoes, carrots, peas, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, and green beans.
Instead of adding vitamins enriched ingredients, NNN has a certified veterinarian mix that comes in each meal. The vitamins are measured and added from a recipe created by Dr. Justin Shmalberg and include things like copper, manganese, thiamine, Vitamin E, B1 and B2, selenium, B12, and Vitamin D3.
on your First Order
Both companies use their ingredients to create a variety of flavorful recipes. Each recipe is designed around the main meat ingredient and will provide everything your dog needs for each life stage development.
Ollie has a total of four base recipes to choose from. Within each recipe you can select ingredients to add or remove in the event you need certain additions or substitutions. The base recipes are listed below.
- Tasty Lamb Fare – This is based around the lamb protein and includes lamb, lamb liver and lamb heart. You will also find other ingredients like butternut squash, rutabaga, chickpeas, potato, and cranberries.
- Chicken Goodness – Chicken goodness is the chicken-based recipe that gets protein from chicken, chicken gizzard and egg. You will also find carrots, green peas, chia seed, long grain rice, spinach, potato, egg, blueberries, and sunflower oil.
- Hearty Beef Eats – Hearty Beef Eats is a robust and flavorful recipe that is easily one of Ollie’s favorites. In the recipe, you will find beef proteins from beef, beef heart, beef liver, and beef kidney. You will also find other flavors sourced from sweet potato, peas, potato, carrot, spinach, chia seed, sunflower oil, and blueberries.
- Healthy Turkey Feast – The turkey recipe brings out the flavors of the bird using ground turkey, turkey liver, gizzard, thigh, and heart. You will also find great combinations of veggies like pumpkin, carrot, lentils, kale, blueberries, and coconut oil.
Nom Nom has a tasty variety of recipes to choose from as well. Like Ollie, each recipe is built around a single protein source and has added ingredients to bring out those flavors.
- Heartland Beef Mash – The beef recipe is built around ground beef. It is also gluten-free, like their other recipes and contains up to 80 grams of beef proteins. You will also find the other ingredients include potatoes, carrots, peas, egg, fish oil, and the NomNomNow nutritional mix.
- Tasty Turkey Fare – The tasty turkey recipe is full of protein from turkey. It is also grain based to provide energy fueling carbs. Included in this recipe, you will find brown rice, carrots, spinach, egg, fish oil and the NomNomNow nutritional mix.
- Chicken Wow Wow – Chicken Wow Wow is the chicken protein recipe that is colorful and delicious. Aside from the chicken, you will find the ingredient list includes sweet potatoes, yellow squash, spinach, fish oil, and the NomNomNow nutritional mix.
- Porkalicious Potluck – The pork recipe, Porkalicious Potluck gets its protein from pork and is high in protein (at about 78 grams). You will also see that it includes tasty ingredients like potatoes, kale, green beans, mushrooms, fish oil, and the NomNomNow nutritional mix.
How the Services Work
Each of the services uses their kitchens to create their recipes and prep them for delivery. How they get to that point is slightly different though. Let’s look at how it’s done.
When you first go to the Ollie website you will be asked to create an account and then go through a short questionnaire about your dog, or dogs. The information you provide will help the service determine what type of ingredients should be used (or avoided) based on information such as age and known allergies.
After you have finished the account set up and verified your information you will be presented with your food choices and will have expert help along the way if you need it.
You will select your recipe, asked if you would like to make any changes and then your order is processed. Once complete you will receive verification of the order, and the Ollie team will get to work.
Each recipe will be handmade when you order it based on the information you provided. If you don’t need to make any changes, you will have your dog’s meals portioned out into serving trays and shipped to your door.
When the package arrives, you should place it directly in the refrigerator. You will also be sent a serving scoop that is proportionate to the serving size recommended for your fur baby. When it is feeding time, you will use the scoop to dish out the correct amount and feed it directly to your dog.
The leftovers will be returned to your fridge for the next feeding time.
The service will keep contact to ensure you never run out of food. As long as you don’t want to make any changes a new shipment will be sent regularly and on time to prevent spoilage of older meals or running out of current meals.
NNN has a very similar service to Ollie, with a few small exceptions. You will create an account and tell them a little information about your dogs, such as breed, age, and weight.
After the account is set up and verified, you will make your recipe selections. The order will be created and shipped to your door. The main difference here is that the recipes provided by NNN aren’t able to be altered. Once you make your pick that is what you will get.
All their recipes are made fresh every week and shipped upon request. When you receive your order, each box will contain single-serve packages. When it is feeding time, you just open the sealed pack that was hand filled based on your dog’s age and breed size and let them eat.
You don’t have to measure or scoop or store leftovers. Each package will go right from the fridge into the bowl for eating. When your order schedule permits, a new shipment will be sent to prevent you from running out.
If you want to change the recipe to a new flavor, you can do so at any time, as long as it isn’t on the day of your scheduled shipment.
Both Ollie and NomNomNow serve more than just dog food. Here is what else you can find.
Ollie primarily focuses on dog food. However, they also offer dog treats to help your dog snack healthy or as a training aid. There are four flavors of treats:
- Beef strips
- Sweet potato slices
- Chicken strips
- Turkey Strips
NomNomNow also caters to cats, offering the same human-grade food for felines. They also have treats and services for your dog that you won’t find anywhere else.
Their treats are also all natural and good for training or snacks. They have two primary types as well as a seasonal recipe that is released on special occasions.
- Beef jerky
- Chicken Jerky
- Pork and Pumpkin strips (seasonal)
NNN also offers a probiotic that is designed to be fed once a day with a meal and comes in a 30 day supply. The powder mixes with the food and offers over 20 billion cultures designed to help digestion and immunity.
Finally, they also have a microbiome kit and analysis service. You order the kit and collect your dog’s waste, ship it back to them for free, and they will analyze it. You will be given a before and after (if switching to NNN) analysis for the gut-microbes and how effective your dog’s digestion system is working.
Both Ollie and NomNomNow offer human-grade dog food for an affordable, subscription price. Their ingredients are both naturally sourced and fresh. Each recipe is made to order and shipped directly to your door on a regular basis.
Ollie will allow you to adjust the recipe if you need to, where NomNomNow doesn’t. However, NomNomNow will prepackage each portion for you while Ollie sends you a portion scoop based on the size and eating habits of your specific dog.
You can’t go wrong with either service. However, if you have cats also, or need more than just food, NomNomNow is the better choice. If you are looking for nationally sourced proteins and specific recipes made only when you order and not ahead of time, Ollie will be your best option.