In this article you will find:
- Meet Blue Basics Dog Food
- What are the Best Blue Basic Dog Food Recipes?
- Brand Quick Look
- Behind the Brand
- Blue Basics Recall History List:
- Blue Basics Dog Food Coupons 2019
- Best Blue Basics Dog Food Recipes
- Customer Reviews
- Sensitive Stomachs; Bad Allergies; Get Blue Basics
Meet Blue Basics Dog Food
Blue Basics is a healthy dog food brand from the company Blue Buffalo. The company believes that dogs deserve a diet that closely mimics what they ate as wolves in the wild. Their food includes meat as the primary source of protein, no fillers, and little to no grain.
Blue Basics is one of their limited ingredient lines, and the goal with this food is to help dogs with food sensitivities. If your dog is frequently vomiting, has low energy, or flaky skin there may be ingredients in their food that does not sit well with them.
This food is intended to limit the number of ingredients you expose your pup to and as a result decrease the chance that they’ll have an allergic reaction to anything.
Blue uses real meat as the primary source of protein in their Blue Basics line, and the food contains no by-products, corn, wheat, soy, dairy, or eggs.
In this article, we’re taking an in-depth look at Blue Basics and whether or not their limited ingredient diet is the right choice for pups across the country.
What are the Best Blue Basic Dog Food Recipes?
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Formula Turkey & Potato Recipe– Most Popular
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Formula Salmon & Potato Recipe
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Formula Salmon & Potato Recipe Adult Dry
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet Turkey & Potato Recipe Senior Dry
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Formula Duck & Potato Recipe
Brand Quick Look
- Parent Company: Blue Pet Products, Inc. – a subsidiary of General Mills, Inc.
- Founded in: 2002
- Made in: Wilton, Connecticut
- Made by: A variety of manufacturers, CJ Foods, Ainsworth, ProPet, Triple T, and more.
- Available at: Chewy, Amazon, Petsmart, Target
- Types of Food: Dry, wet, treats
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : Yes
- Recalled in Past? : No
Behind the Brand
The story of Blue Basics starts with the Bishop family dog named Blue. He suffered from cancer, and they wanted to find out more about how they can help their dog feel better and get back to good health.
Upon researching pet food manufacturers and ideal diets for dogs, they discovered something shocking; they noticed that so many pet foods contain corn, wheat, and soy as the primary ingredients and sources of nutrients.
At that point, they knew what they had to do. They had to create an all-natural pet food company that thrives on using real meats and vegetables to keep your pet lean, strong, and healthy.
The Bishop family set out on a mission with the help of animal nutritionists and veterinarians to create a healthy pet food company called Blue Buffalo.
Fast forward, today Blue is one of the leading pet food companies nationwide, and their reputation truly speaks for itself.
What Types of Dog Foods Does Blue Basics Offer?
Blue Basics offers a wide variety of food options including grain-free and limited ingredient blends. These foods come in a multitude of flavors with a meat-based protein and potato serving as the base of each food.
In addition to traditional dry food, they offer limited ingredient moist food in the same flavors with the same components. All their foods come in puppy, adult, and senior formulas and they also have Blue Basic Biscuit treats.
All of the foods in the Blue Basics line contain easily digestible carbohydrates like peas and potatoes as well as pea fiber and pumpkin to help support digestion. None of the food contains any by-products, corn, wheat, soy, dairy, or eggs.
All of Blue Basics hard food contains a limited amount of ingredients to help dogs with food sensitivities. All the food provides the best natural ingredients with no corn, wheat, soy, dairy, or eggs.
The formula helps with lean muscle development, energy requirements, bones, teeth, and joint health.
Turkey and Potato Recipe – Puppy – Adult – Senior
Salmon and Potato – Adult
Healthy Weight Turkey and Potato – Adult
Grain-Free Duck and Potato – Adult
Grain-Free Lamb and Potato – Adult
Grain-Free Turkey and Potato – Adult
Grain-Free Salmon and Potato – Adult
Blues wet food options do a lot of the same things the kibble does, but they provide a different twist and a treat for your pups. Compared to a lot of moist foods that have hundreds of ingredients listed on the can, Blue Basics limits what they put in their food, so your dog is less likely to experience an allergy.
Grain-Free Duck and Potato – Adult – Small Breed
Grain-Free Lamb and Potato – Adult – Small Breed
Grain-Free Turkey and Potato – Adult – Senior – Small Breed
Turkey and Potato Biscuits
Salmon and Potato Biscuits
Blue Basics Recall History List:
- While there have been many recalls from the Blue Buffalo Brand, there are none specific to their Blue Basics Line.
Blue Basics Dog Food Coupons 2019
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Best Blue Basics Dog Food Recipes
Now let’s take a deep look into three food options from Blue Basics. We’re going to see what the reputation is in regard to the ingredients, flavor, packaging, and more.
- Overall: 4 out of 5
- Flavor: 4 out of 5
- Ingredients: 4 out of 5
- Packaging: 4 out of 5
This food has an excellent reputation online with a near five-star review on chewy and a four-star review on Amazon across 400+ reviews. The food contains Glucosamine which helps support joint function, calcium for strong bones, and omega fatty acids for your pups’ skin and coat.
Some of the first ingredients in the food are salmon, peas, potatoes, pea starch, and salmon meal. It’s great that they stick by the protein in the food because a lot of other food companies claim that the bag contains salmon as the protein, but the food has chicken meal as its third ingredient.
Online reviewers say that this food has helped their dog with their allergies and their pups enjoy the flavor. Some also say they switched to Blue Basics after using other foods for years and they immediately noticed a difference in their dog’s behavior.
Critical reviews express concern about frequent formula changes, and that vet’s do not recommend Blue Basics. We have seen many reports stating that professionals do not like the Blue Buffalo brand in general.
- Overall: 4 out of 5
- Flavor: 4 out of 5
- Ingredients: 4 out of 5
- Packaging: 4 out of 5
On Chewy and Amazon, this food from Blue has a 4 – 4.5-star review across 250 reviews. The formula is the same as every other food we’ve touched in the article; it limits the ingredients to help dogs with food sensitivities, and the food is supposed to contain its protein throughout with nothing else.
Some of the first ingredients in the can are lamb, lamb broth, lamb liver, potatoes, peas, and pumpkin. We find their packaging and advertising to be congruent with expectations, and that’s part of why they have such an excellent reputation. If the food says lamb and potato, it contains mostly lamb and potato.
Online reviewers state that they love the fact that the food contains no chicken because their dog is allergic. They said another food they purchased said no chicken but included chicken by-product. Others say it’s great for picky eaters with sensitive stomachs.
Most of the critical reviews state that the food doesn’t look appetizing, has a strong odor, and is very dry.
- Overall: 5 out of 5
- Flavor: 4.5 out of 5
- Ingredients: 5 out of 5
- Packaging: 5 out of 5
These treats are incredibly popular online with a 4.5-star review on Amazon and Chewy across 200+ reviews. Many dog treats contain the worst ingredients in the dog food work, but these have no by-products and only all-natural ingredients.
The treats have a limited amount of ingredients with less than 20 things listed on the bag. Turkey, brown rice, oatmeal, potato, and potato protein are at the top of the list. They contain 18% crude protein which is high for a dog treat.
Positive reviews say that their dogs love the flavor, the treats are small enough for their small breeds, and the packages arrive without any broken biscuits.
There are limited amounts of negative reviews for this product online but the ones we did find claim that some dogs don’t like the flavor or shape of the treats; Overall, their reputation is positive and well respected.
Here’s a look at some real reviews from customers who purchased Blue Basics food.
No Chicken Allowed!
- I took my dog to a holistic vet who recommended I switch him to a diet with no chicken or “hot foods.” I searched and searched for foods and even the ones that weren’t chicken flavored still had the chicken meal in them. I finally found this food, and it has no chicken in it. I haven’t had my dog on it long enough to know if it will make a difference in his health, but all of my dogs love the food and gobble it right up! – Chewy Customer
Great for sensitive stomachs!
- My little dog was vomiting undigested food. I tried many different brands before this one. After researching how dogs with sensitive stomachs are unable to process fat and some grains well, I tried Blue Buffalo Grain Free Turkey and Potato. He is no longer vomiting, and his coat looks amazing! I was almost ready to pay for expensive prescription food. What a relief! – Chewy Customer
Old Dog Approved
- We have several senior dogs, and they love this food.
- One of our girls is a bit of a picky eater, but when we switched to this food, she dives into her food bowl like it was a big piece of prime rib.
- We also got some of the canned version of this, and the ones who get it are the same. Have not had any “leftovers” from either the kibble nor canned connoisseurs. – Amazon Customer
Brings smelly dog farts and bad breath
- Slowly switched my dog to this food and once she was fully on it she started having terrible farts, and her breath is bad too. But she eats it and a lot..not sure it’s that great.. looking for new food. – Chewy Customer
Not even close!
- My dogs will not touch this food! I was very shocked. They LOVE the wet trays, so I figured the dry would be a hit. Nope. Not one bite. They both refuse even to taste it. Total waste of money. – Chewy Customer
Sensitive Stomachs; Bad Allergies; Get Blue Basics
Blue Basics touches an area for dogs where a lot of other companies lack. They provide food to dogs that have a hard time eating standard dog food, and they help a lot of distressed families in the process.
The main thing that we love about this dog food brand is that they stay true to their promises which is important for dogs who have severe allergies to certain ingredients. If you buy Blue Basics salmon and potato, you know that you’re getting salmon and potato.
We trust Blue Basics with our pups, and we think you should too. Thanks for reading.