In this article you will find:
- Meet Blue Wilderness Dog Food
- What are the best Blue Wilderness Dog Food Recipes?
- Behind the Brand
- Blue Wilderness Recall History List:
- Blue Wilderness Dog Food Coupons 2020
- Best Blue Wilderness Dog Foods Recipes
- Customer Reviews and Reputation
- Blue Wilderness Chicken Recipe
Meet Blue Wilderness Dog Food
Blue Wilderness is a dog food brand inspired by the ancient roots and history of dogs. Canines were once ferocious meat eaters who thrived on a high protein and grain free diet but over time dog food manufacturers have replaced these ingredients with corn, wheat, and other fillers because they are cheaper and easier to source.
Blue Wilderness prides themselves on creating food that is 100% grain free and uses only the finest all-natural ingredients with real meat taking center stage in everything they serve.
Every food from Blue Wilderness contains real meat as the first ingredient and no by-products, artificial preservatives, corn, or soy.
- Parent Company: Blue Pet Products, Inc. – a subsidiary of General Mills, Inc.
- Founded in: 2002
- Made in: Wilton, Connecticut
- Made by: A variety of manufacturers, CJ Foods, Ainsworth, ProPet, Triple T, and more.
- Available at: Chewy, Amazon, Petsmart, Target
- Types of Food: Dry, wet, treats
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : Yes
- Recalled in Past? : Yes
What are the best Blue Wilderness Dog Food Recipes?
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food – Most Popular
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe with Red Meat Adult
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Beef & Chicken Grill Grain-Free Canned
Behind the Brand
The story of Blue Wilderness starts with the Bishop family and their dog Blue. While Blue was struggling with cancer, the family started to research dog food and the ingredients that most manufacturers include in their formula.
They discovered that so many of the ingredients included in dog food are harmful to our pet’s and they vowed to put a stop to it.
This discovery set the Bishop family on a mission to create a pet food brand that is not afraid to take on the pressing issues. They produced food that appeals to each type of dog with a wide variety of unique needs; they created Blue Buffalo.
Working alongside holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, the Bishop family designed a formula with real meat and vegetables as the main ingredients. Blue Buffalo sets the standard for pet health across the country, and today they pilot the best-selling pet food brand in the United States.
What Types of Dog Foods Does Blue Wilderness Offer?
Within the Blue Wilderness brand, they offer a wide array of different pates and kibble. Each food stands tall to its promise of focusing on real meat as the main ingredient and no grain, corn, or soy in any of their formulas.
It’s worth mentioning that a high protein diet is not for every kind of dog and you want to test this type of food out before fully committing. Protein is fuel for dogs, but like humans, they do benefit from a balanced diet of carbs and fat as well.
Excessive protein in a dog’s diet puts pressure on their kidneys through urination, and their bodies can only handle so much protein. It’s important to talk with your veterinarian about whether a high protein diet is the right choice for your pup.
Blue Buffalo talks about dog’s comparison to wolves and how they roamed the American West surviving on a diet rich in proteins. That is their thinking behind creating Rocky Mountain Recipe; to include more of the meats dogs love and less of the filler they don’t want.
This formula contains meat as the first ingredient and antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables alongside it.
Rocky Mountain Recipe Dry Options:
- Red Meat
- Healthy Weight Red Meat
Rocky Mountain Recipe Wet Options:
- Red Meat
Blue’s Bayou Blend combines unique flavors of the Southern US waters like alligator, catfish, and shrimp. This formula is grain-free and always features meat as the first ingredient.
Alongside the protein-rich meat, you’ll find sweet potatoes, peas, blueberries, cranberries, and carrots included in this formula.
Bayou Blend Food Options:
- Bayou Blend Dry
- Bayou Blend Wet
- Bayou Biscuit Treats
This blend from Blue was designed to mimic wolves’ diets in the Alaskan wilderness. The formula includes wild-caught salmon, venison, halibut, and crab meal as the core proteins. Alongside the meat, you’ll find sweet potatoes, peas, blueberries, cranberries, and carrots.
Every food from Blue also includes their Lifesource Bits so even if your dog is eating a primarily protein-based diet they still receive immune boosts and healthy minerals from this portion of their food.
Denali Dinner Food Options:
- Denali Dinner Dry
- Denali Dinner Wet
- Denali Biscuit Treats
Wilderness Trail Trays
This food comes served in a single portion tray with a wide variety of flavors including beef, chicken, turkey, and duck.
These come in an 8-ounce tub and feature flavors like beef, venison, chicken, duck, and turkey. They’re a bit larger than the trail trays so for a smaller dog they would serve as more than one meal.
Blue Wilderness Recall History List:
Blue Wilderness has had a series of recalls since their founding in 2002. Here they are listed in reverse chronological order.
- March 2017 – Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat Dinner Wet Food was recalled for having elevated levels of naturally occurring beef thyroid hormone.
- February 2017 – Wilderness Trail Trays Duck, Beef, Chicken, and Turkey get recalled for issues with packaging and possible aluminum contamination.
- November 2015 – Cub Size Wilderness Chew Bones get recalled for potential salmonella contamination.
- October 2010 – Blue Wilderness Chicken Flavored dry dog foods get recalled for potentially containing high levels of Vitamin D.
Blue Wilderness Dog Food Coupons 2020
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Best Blue Wilderness Dog Foods Recipes
In this section, we’re breaking down three of the most popular offerings from Blue Wilderness to help you make the best buying decision for your canine.
This dog food is their most popular offering, and it’s most likely because it is one of the most standard proteins in a dog’s diet.
While Blue Wilderness prides themselves on creating food that is high in protein, we were somewhat relieved to see that the food balances out in terms of nutrients. With 34% protein, 15% fat, and 6% fiber, you’re still feeding your pup everything they need to grow and thrive.
96% of reviewers online say they love this dog food and would recommend Blue Wilderness Chicken Recipe.
We scoured the internet trying to find a food that was as bizarre in its ingredients as this formula, but upon further research, we discovered that Bayou Blend has a unique approach. Alligator and catfish are great if your pup has a sensitive stomach.
Some dogs also need a poultry free diet because their bodies do not process it correctly. Along with the protein, your dog gets sweet potatoes and peas to balance out the protein with essential carbohydrates. It might sound bizarre, but if other foods aren’t working for you; you might want to try Blue Wilderness Bayou Blend.
Treats play an essential role in training and teaching our pups obedience and behavior, but so many manufactured treats contain harmful chemicals and fillers. Blue Wilderness Grain-Free Duck Biscuits have a limited amount of ingredients with duck, chicken meal, and potatoes at the forefront of that list.
Customer Reviews and Reputation
Blue Wilderness has an excellent reputation online with 910 five star reviews out of 1049 on their most popular food brand from Chewy. Reviewers state that their dogs love the flavor of the food and they seem to enjoy every bite they take. Many customers have also said the added fiber in this food helps regulate their stools and help them digest their food better.
Common complaints seem to involve a bad smell, possible changes in ingredients, and trouble eating the LifeSource Bits.
Looking for a high protein food
- We were looking for a high protein option for our one-year-old pitbull to help build his muscle tone. There are a lot of great options, but they can get costly. Blue Wilderness allows us to provide our dog with a higher quality of food, higher protein, and it’s within our budget. The dog loves the taste, and it has been great for him. – Chewy Customer
Helps stomach issues
- We tried a lot of food for our Doberman. He has bad gas and normally runny stools. This food has the high protein he needs PLUS high fiber. It has helped the smell of his gas and more solid stools. It’s also cheaper than a lot of things we have tried. We will continue using this brand moving forward! – Chewy Customer
Our Dogs Approve
- I have two lab/pit bull mix pups, and we started them on authority, and it was good but decided to try our luck with Blue and haven’t gone back. They love it, and it gives them a lot of energy throughout the day. Their coats have also become so much healthier along with their skin! Definitely, recommend! – Chewy Customer
Good food if your dogs will eat it
- I do not doubt that this is very high-quality food. I was excited that my dogs initially seemed to like it. However, after a week or so, we started finding uneaten life source bits around the kitchen. A few days after that, they just ignored the bowls until they got hungry enough to eat something they didn’t like. It’s too expensive for my beagles not to enjoy. Back to the drawing board. – Chewy Customer
- I love this food, and my dogs thrive on it. However, that being said the “smart bits” are a complete waste of space and money. My “smart” dogs will NOT eat the smart bits, and it makes a huge mess. I’ve asked Blue if they can make a bag without them – I am THAT frustrated by it! – Chewy Customer
Not Great This Time
- Won’t order this again. My dogs usually love this food but not this time. Not sure if the recipe was changed, but the pieces are larger the usual. When I first started purchasing this brand is smelled a little fishy, but the smell isn’t there in that batch. – Chewy Customer
Dog Food Review
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Peas, Pea Protein, Tapioca Starch
This high protein dog food contains 34% protein, 15% fat, and 6% fiber. We find this balance to be essential for your dog because they need this protein to maintain healthy energy and muscle development.
That said, if your dog is not highly active and lives in small quarters, they might not be able to handle this amount of protein, so you want to make sure you get a professional opinion.
The food balances out well though with calcium, phosphorous, and other essential vitamins to help bones, teeth, and joint function.
There are no artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors anywhere in this food, but we can’t get past the LifeSource bits issue with this food. Blue should do something to disguise them better because they seem to be almost inedible by many of the critical reviews.
Overall, with sky-high positive ratings, a seemingly endless variety of options, and all-natural ingredients in every bite; Blue Wilderness appears to be leading the pack in the realm of healthy dog food options.
Within the Blue product line, you and your pup are sure to find something that will please their palette and your wallet.