In this article you will find:
- Meet Wild Frontier Dog Food
- What are the Best Wild Frontier Dog Food Recipes?
- Brand Quick Look
- Behind the Brand
- Wild Frontier Recall History List:
- Wild Frontier Dog Food Coupons 2020
- Best Wild Frontier Dog Food Recipes
- Customer Reviews
- Wild Frontier, Dog Tested; Dog Approved
Meet Wild Frontier Dog Food
Wild Frontier believes in catering to your dog's natural instincts and providing a diet that is inspired by the hunt. They see the hunt as a part of our ecosystem, and that’s how nature maintains balance.
Our dog's ancestors made the most of what they could find in the wild and Wild Frontier wants to do the same.
All their food gets its inspiration from instinctual behaviors, and it all contains a high percentage of animal ingredients, nutrient-rich organs, multiple sources of protein, high-quality meat as the first ingredient, and no grains or fillers.
In this article we’re taking a look at everything about Wild Frontier so if you’re considering switching dog foods, buckle up and continue reading.
What are the Best Wild Frontier Dog Food Recipes?
- Wild Frontier by Nutro with Chicken Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food – Most Popular
- Wild Frontier by Nutro with Beef & Wild Boar Grain-Free Adult Dry
- Wild Frontier by Nutro Beef & Liver Stew Adult Grain-Free Canned
- Wild Frontier by Nutro Chicken & Turkey Stew Grain-Free Adult Canned
- Wild Frontier by Nutro with Lamb & Venison Meal Grain-Free Adult
Brand Quick Look
- Parent Company: Nutro and Mars Inc
- Founded in: 1926
- Made in: Tennessee USA
- Made by: Mars Inc.
- Available at: Chewy, Amazon, Petco, PetSmart
- Types of Food: Dry and Canned
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : Yes
- Recalled in Past? : Yes
Behind the Brand
Wild Frontier is a dog food brand from the larger company Nutro, and they are owned and produced by the parent company Mars. Since Nutro owns Wild Frontier, we’ll be talking more about their history in this section.
In 1926 a man named John Saleen purchased the dog food company and moved the production to California. It was run as a family business with local products only for many years until 1976 when the company moved again. Now Nutro is available in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, and Europe.
In 1985 as research started to increase and people became more concerned by the number of healthy ingredients in food, the company began to create new lines of dog food focusing on protein-rich ingredients and all-natural meats.
Mars purchased the company in 2007 and moved its headquarters to Tennessee where it stands today.
What Types of Dog Food Does Wild Frontier Offer?
Wild Frontier offers a large variety of dry and canned foods. They also have many alternative proteins like wild boar, venison, and duck in their offerings. All their food contains organ meat as one of their vital ingredients, so each food you’re buying has bits of beef, pork, and chicken in it due to the organ mixture.
They also have specific food lines for puppies and large breeds as well. Each one of the foods listed below is grain-free and contains no by-products, corn, wheat, soy, or artificial ingredients and fillers.
Here is a list of all the food offerings from Wild Frontier
- Lamb and Venison
- Beef and Wild Boar
- Turkey and Duck
- Chicken and Turkey
- Salmon and Liver
- Chicken and Liver
- Lamb and Liver
- Beef and Lamb
- Beef and Chicken
- Duck and Liver
- Turkey and Liver
Wild Frontier Recall History List:
Since Wild Frontier is manufactured in the same location as Nutro, we decided to include their recalls to give you the most honest review possible. There are no recalls of the Wild Frontier brand specifically but listed below are the past recalls of the Nutro brand dog food.
- December 2015 – Nutro Apple Chewy Treats recalled for potential mold contamination.
- September 2009 – Nutro Natural Choice Chicken Meal, Rice, and Oatmeal Puppy Bites recalled for plastic contamination during production
- May 2009 – Nutro Dry Cat Foods recalled for incorrect zinc and potassium levels
- March 2007 – Many 12.5-ounce cans of Nutro Wet Food recalled for Melamine contamination
Wild Frontier Dog Food Coupons 2020
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Best Wild Frontier Dog Food Recipes
Here we’re going to take a more in-depth look into some of the specific lines of dog food from Wild Frontier. We’re picking apart the ingredients, nutrition, and everything to do with the company to help you make the best decision for your pup.
- Overall: 4 out of 5
- Flavor: 4 out of 5
- Ingredients: 4 out of 5
- Packaging: 4 out of 5
- Price: 3.5 out of 5
First, we want to look at one of their most popular lines of the food. This dog food contains a high-protein and grain-free diet for your dog's natural instincts. Their goal with this food is to satisfy your pup over the long-term so that they can deal with fewer feedings and more activity.
The food uses deboned lamb as the first ingredient, and it falls into the vital prey category which means they use a variety of different organ meats to help supplement the nutritional value.
First 5 Ingredients:
Deboned lamb, chicken meal, split peas, dried potatoes, chicken fat
The first five ingredients here are true to what the company claims, and as you may your way down towards the center of the list, you’ll find organs like turkey liver, pork heart, and pork kidney. We would have liked to see the venison meal towards the top of the list since it is a lean protein.
- 30% protein
- 16% fat
- 3.5% fiber
- 420 calories per cup
Many reviewers of this food are concerned about the number of calories and protein in the diet. You can tell where the company is going with this, and they’re looking to create a food focused on the active dog lifestyle. Chances are, if you live in a city or apartment where your dog doesn’t get a lot of activity, this might not be the right food for you.
- Overall: 4.5 out of 5
- Flavor: 4.5 out of 5
- Ingredients: 4.5 out of 5
- Packaging: 4 out of 5
- Price: 4 out of 5
Next, we’re looking at this food containing 60% animal ingredients as part of a high protein and balanced diet. The goal of this food is to help your dog maintain strong and lean bodies. This one also contains a variety of organ meat to help supplement the protein levels of the food.
The beef and wild boar formula do not contain any corn, wheat, or soy and the proteins used in this food help your dog's digestion and skin health.
First 5 Ingredients:
Beef, split peas, pork meal, chicken meal, dried potatoes
Something we don’t like is when dog food manufacturers put other proteins ahead of the ones they advertise. Before you find wild boar in this food, you’ll find a chicken meal, pork meal, and fish meal. Wild boar is high quality and revered protein in dog food, so they’re drawing you in with that but most likely under-delivering in the long-run.
That said, Wild Frontier contains a long list of high quality and protein-packed ingredients.
- 32% protein
- 16% fat
- 3.5% fiber
This product has 30 reviews on Chewy with 4.9 out of 5 stars so there is little to complain about here. The food has not received a review of less than four stars and so many people rave about how much their dogs love the flavor and gobble the food up every time.
Wild Frontier has an excellent reputation across the most popular websites, and overall people have nothing but good things to say about the company. In this section, we’re addressing both the positive and the negative reviews to give you a better feeling for the company. You’ll get an idea of what people like and don’t like about Wild Frontier.
Good Dog Food
- Tried all the best-rated dog foods and all of them gave our dog very loose stools. We finally found one that agrees with her. She loves the taste. I think it is pretty high calorie as we feed her very little, but she (50lb Samoyed) seems to be good on 1 cup a day mixed in with a little Mackerel. – Chewy Customer
He Loves It!
- Rosco has gotten very finicky in his old age, but he loved this dog food! We have had to switch foods several times and were able to try this dog food from free from Wild Frontier to see how he liked it. We finally found a winner! The pieces are small and soft enough to make it easier for him to chew and he loved the taste as well! – Chewy Customer
Wild Dog! Great taste (they think)
- Very filling for my dogs, I have a two-year-old and a 10-year-old dog, and they both love it. Great for their tummies. Gives them the energy they need during the day. They seem to enjoy the taste and is easy to eat regardless of their ages and size. I will continue to purchase this for my pups as they seem to enjoy meal time more now. I received this as part of a promotion from the brand – Chewy Customer
There are few negative reviews to touch on, but many of them state discontent with the packaging, shipping, and price of the food.
- I have been with chewy for a while now. When Nutro's high endurance wasn't available, they shipped a different style of food. It was ok, and my boxer would eat it. This last shipment I got (on auto ship) was a disappointment. I opened the bag, and the food comes out in clumps. My boxer eats it but hasn't been eating it in her normal fashion. Not sure what or why the food was in clumps and smelled a little like it was old food or stale. – Chewy Customer
Wild Frontier, Dog Tested; Dog Approved
Rarely do we find a dog food with such an excellent reputation online and so few bad things to say. Dogs love this food for its flavor, and nutritional value and owners say changing their dog to this diet has definitely made an impact on their pups.
Wild Frontier focuses on putting all the right ingredients into their food to help limit the number of times your dog needs to eat and in turn, this increases their energy and maintains their weight.
We find that this dog food contains nothing but the best ingredients and an abundance of them. The amount of proteins including real meat, protein meal, and organs is substantial, and that leads to a high protein concentrated food.
If you’re looking for a high-protein, grain-free dog food we recommend looking no further than Wild Frontier.