In this article you will find:
- Meet WellMade by Cloud Star Dog Food
- What are the Best WellMade by Cloud Star Dog Food Recipes?
- Brand Quick Look
- Behind the Brand
- WellMade by Cloud Star Recall History List:
- WellMade by Cloud Star Dog Food Coupons 2019
- Best WellMade by Cloud Star Dog Food Recipes
- Customer Reviews
- Our Favorite: Cloud Star WellMade Baked Lamb, Lentils, and Peas Recipe
Meet WellMade by Cloud Star Dog Food
Raw foods may be the big thing right now, but you’re still a kibble fan. It’s easy to store and serve. Plus, your dog likes it, and it’s good for the teeth and gums. Sometimes you pick up a canned food just for variety, but overall, kibble serves you well.
WellMade by Cloud Star is an excellent grain free kibble and wet food brand that makes holistic recipes with no fillers. It’s designed to build everything your dog needs to stay healthy without breaking your wallet or causing a bunch of inconveniences (ahem, raw menus). Let’s take a look at the WellMade line to see if it could be a good choice for your dog.
What are the Best WellMade by Cloud Star Dog Food Recipes?
- Cloud Star WellMade Baked Chicken Meal, Peas, & Lentils Recipe Grain-Free
- Cloud Star WellMade Homestyle Meals Mediterranean Grill With Lamb Recipe Grain-Free
- Cloud Star WellMade Homestyle Meals Salmon-Stuffed Chicken Recipe Grain-Free
- Cloud Star WellMade Baked Lamb Meal, Lentils, & Peas Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Cloud Star WellMade Baked Duck Meal, Chickpeas, & Peas Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Brand Quick Look
- Parent Company: White Bridge Pet Brands
- Founded in: 1999
- Manufactured by: Cloud Star
- Made in: USA
- Available at: Chewy, Amazon,
- Types of Food: Dry, wet
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : Yes (canned foods), No (meat meals – kibble)
- Recalled in Past? : No
Behind the Brand
Cloud Star offers a range of dog food and treat brands, all inspired by holistic recipes and wholesome ingredients. The company began by making dog treats in 1999 and has built a company based on offering better quality foods for pet owners who are bothered by what’s in cheap kibbles.
Cloud Star got started when founder Jennifer Melton adopted a picky eater named Samantha. Samantha was prone to allergies, and commercial kibbles only made the issues worse. Jennifer Melton decided to create her own treats to help her dog get over chronic allergies, and Cloud Star was born.
Cloud Star has several different brands under its belt, but WellMade is its grain free, baked kibble and canned food line. It uses a blend of meats and fresh fruits and veggies to provide dogs with energy and immune system support.
What Types of Dog Food does WellMade Offer?
There are two different lines of foods with WellMade. Baked kibbles are lightly processed to make it shelf stable and preserve the natural ingredients. The wet foods use high-quality meats as the first ingredient to provide stable proteins and keep dogs feeling full all day.
The foods don’t have any cheap fillers and never use any artificial colors or flavors. They’re grain free and contain only quality sources of meat and veggies. They use a handful of essential ingredients as the starting point, and all are balanced for all-day energy.
They’re formulated for most life stages and breed sizes. They have one baked kibble that is suitable for large breeds, but most of them are ideal for all breed sizes. They don’t have a puppy-specific formula so check with your vet before using the recipes for your puppy.
- Chicken Meal, Peas, and Lentils
- Chicken Meal, Peas, and Lentils Large Breed
- Chicken Meal, Peas, and Lentils Light
- Duck Meal, Chickpeas, and Peas
- Lamb Meal, Lentils, and Peas
- Homestyle Meals: Everyday Fall Feast with Turkey
- Homestyle Meals: Mediterranean Grill with Lamb
- Homestyle Meals: Salmon Stuffed Chicken
- Homestyle Meals: Savory Stew With Beef
- Homestyle Meals: Slow Cooker Chicken
WellMade by Cloud Star Recall History List:
- WellMade doesn’t have a recall history that we can see. They’ve been in business for about 20 years, so that’s a great record. They follow strict protocols for producing and handling the foods, so there’s less risk of contamination. We always appreciate a clean track record.
WellMade by Cloud Star Dog Food Coupons 2019
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Best WellMade by Cloud Star Dog Food Recipes
Their kibbles are a good option for people looking to upgrade from cheap grocery store kibbles but don’t discount their wet foods. The recipes are designed to complement each other and use no filler ingredients. Let’s take a look at three great places to get started with this food.
Lamb is an excellent source of dense protein. Lamb meal is dehydrated lamb, so it provides a more intense serving of protein than regular lamb meat. Whole fruits and vegetables give your dog vitamins and minerals to support health, and it also contains flaxseed, a good source of fiber and essential fatty acids. This addition could help soothe your dog’s skin and ease digestion.
Duck is another savory protein source. It often entices ultra-picky dogs to eat and is a good source of fat and protein. Chickpeas provide another source of protein and carbs for energy. The balance is excellent for athletic dogs or highly active dogs that have more significant energy needs than your regular couch potato. It has well-balanced vitamins and minerals for complete nutrition even your picky dog might enjoy.
Chicken and salmon together create a good combination of protein and essential fatty acids that can help your dog feel full and energized all day. This recipe is also good for picky dogs and seniors who can’t always get through kibble because of aging jaws. It’s suitable for serving on top of kibble to encourage dogs to eat or as a meal by itself.
Customers like that the recipes are well made and have a variety of protein sources. Owners of picky pets are relieved that wet foods also have a lot of variety and use plenty of quality ingredients. Foods are well rated with around four stars for most recipes and rated favorably by a few trusted dog food reviewers.
What Customers Like and Dislike about WellMade by Cloud Star?
Fans of the foods appreciate the quality ingredients and that there are no artificial flavors or colors. Many dogs who are allergic to cheap fillers or grains can also find some relief from these recipes. They’re not super expensive compared to some of the premium foods on the market.
One of the downsides is the heavy use of peas and lentils in these recipes. A recent study showed a possible connection between the use of these ingredients and an enlarged heart. We would consult with our vet before deciding officially to use these recipes.
They are a little more expensive than your average kibble, and some of the higher protein formulas may cause excess gas at first. Pay close attention to serving size because you often feed less per serving with premium kibbles.
It’s definitely an improvement over cheap kibble, but if you’ve got the budget, there could be some pea and lentil free alternatives that suit your dog. Most people, however, did notice an improvement in their dog’s health.
- “With the kibble being baked instead of extruded I think it would be a great option for picky dogs. It looks and smells completely different than normal kibble. Has the consistency more of a baked treat than kibble. My dog also has a lot of allergies so with the ingredient list being so short its helped greatly with her itching.” Andrew, chewy.com
- “Thought we would give this a try as it looked like a very good quality value. Unfortunately, all three boys did not seem to agree.” TexRanger, chewy.com
Our Favorite: Cloud Star WellMade Baked Lamb, Lentils, and Peas Recipe
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
First Five Ingredients:
- Lamb Meal
- Canola Oil
Lamb is an excellent protein source for most dogs. It’s lean enough to help build muscle but still offers the fats dogs need to stay energetic all day. It’s also an excellent way to get picky dogs to eat. This recipe starts with Lamb Meal, a concentrated form of meat that offers a higher percentage of protein than regular meats alone.
The use of peas and lentils isn’t our favorite. Although the link to an enlarged heart isn’t completely understood, we do pause at the use of both ingredients so high on the list. The lentils can also add extra protein to the food, but that protein isn’t always as bioavailable as animal-based proteins.
However, compared to the cheap fillers and artificial ingredients of bargain kibbles, this is an improvement. It uses only natural ingredients and none of the highly processed cheap fillers such as corn or soy. The more straightforward ingredients list is also a better option for dogs with allergies and digestion sensitivity.
The kibble is baked instead of extruded the way standard kibbles are made, so it has a consistency more like treats than kibble. It could be a little easier on the jaws of seniors who experience tooth pain. If your dog isn’t a fan of the taste, you might be able to mix a bit of one of the wet food options into the kibble to encourage your picky dog to eat.
It’s a favorable food especially if you’re using one of the bargain kibbles filled with corn, soy, and by-product meals. It can offer you the chance to sort out some of your dog’s digestion issues, build healthier muscles and encourage a proper weight. It’s a well-balanced meal, especially for dogs that have no outstanding health risks.