In this article you will find:
- Meet Victor Dog Food
- What are the Best Victor Dog Food Recipes?
- Behind the Brand
- Victor Recall History List:
- Victor Dog Food Coupons 2019
- Best Victor Dog Food Recipes
- Customer Reviews
- Victor Performance
Meet Victor Dog Food
Victor bills itself as a super premium dog food brand. It was originally founded by a family in 1950 and since has expanded to offer a range of dog foods manufactured in the United States. Their foods don’t include cheap fillers like corn or soy and don’t use gluten or grain byproducts.
The company has a good reputation online, but it could be a bit tougher to find this food than some other big box stores. However, if you’re looking for a good mid-range food that uses quality ingredients without common food allergens, this could be the way to go. Just do some homework ahead of time, so you always know where to get a supply
What are the Best Victor Dog Food Recipes?
Brand Quick Look
- Parent Company: MidAmerica Pet Food
- Founded in: 1950
- Made in: the United States
- Made by: Victor facilities
- Available at: Chewy, Amazon, local stores
- Types of Food: Dry, Wet
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : Yes
- Recalled in Past? : No
Behind the Brand
This is a small, family-owned company that’s been acquired for distribution, but still retains some of the trappings of an intimate company. It sources ingredients only from reliable dealers and never from places like China. It manufactures all foods at facilities owned by the company itself right in the United States.
It’s somewhat exclusive still with very few on the shelves of any stores. Online distribution is limited to Chewy and Amazon though whether this is by design isn’t clear. The company claims to be a super-premium brand, and fans swear by the formulas.
The parent company was founded in 2007 and acquired Victor sometime around then. The founders originally built facilities on their own, pitching along the way to food companies who slowly began to come on board. Now, the company manufactures all dog foods in house employing over 90 people in the East Texas area.
More than 80% of their ingredients come from within a 200-mile radius because this makes it easier for the company to track those ingredients and their original sources. Because they’ve cut down on transportation for those ingredients, they can pass on some saving to the consumer without having to sacrifice quality.
What Types of Dog Food Does Victor Offer?
Victor manufactures mostly dry foods, but it has added a few wet foods to the line recently. All food recipes are free of cheap fillers such as corn or soy and don’t use any artificial colors or flavors. They use only plant-based preservatives so that there’s less chance of an allergic reaction and to ensure food quality.
The brand uses four core ingredients in every pet food recipe to ensure a quality standard and that your pet has the best chance of healthy, effective digestion. These four core ingredients are prebiotics for better absorption, complex minerals for metabolic functions, selenium yeast for metabolic function, and probiotics for digestion and immune support.
The foods are arranged in a few different categories. Let’s take a look at their categories to give you a better idea of your choices.
Multigrain offers a blend of multiple proteins plus complex carbohydrates for even nutrition. It’s excellent for dogs with high energy needs who have trouble finding food that can keep up.
- Hi-Pro Plus
If your dog suffers from allergies, this can be a way to limit ingredients and find protein sources that won’t trigger an allergic response. The recipes are single protein sources and free of gluten.
- Ocean Fish Formula
- Lamb Meal and Brown Rice
- Chicken Meal and Brown Rice
- Beef Meal and Brown Rice
- Senior Healthy Weight
- Nutra Pro
The Grain Free recipes are suited to all life stages and help alleviate common gluten allergies associated with many grain-based ingredients. if your dog is continuously itchy or has trouble with weight, this could be a good option
- Grain Free Yukon River
- Grain Free Prairie Land
- Grain Free Countryside
- Grain Free Ultra Pro
- Grain Free Hero
- Grain Free Active Dog and Puppy
Canned formulas offer you the chance to give your puppy or senior a softer option without sacrificing any balanced nutrition. They’re still free from all unwanted fillers and common allergens.
- Grain Free Cuts in Gravy with Chicken and Vegetables
- Grain Free Cuts in Gravy with Beef and Vegetables
- Grain Free Turkey and Sweet Potato
- Lamb and Rice Formula Pate
- Chicken and Rice Formula Pate
Victor Recall History List:
- Victor hasn’t experienced any recalls that we could find, which is a great track record. Their facilities and recipes are of good quality and held to a very high standard. While there are always accidents that can cause recalls for even the best companies, the fact that Victor has such a clean record is a good sign.
Victor Dog Food Coupons 2019
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Best Victor Dog Food Recipes
Here are a few of our favorite recipes that should help get you started. They cover a range of scenarios and should offer at least a few solutions to some of your dog’s dietary issues.
This formula uses chicken, beef, and pork meals for a high protein diet intended for athletic dogs. The use of meal instead of whole proteins is intentional. Meals have a lot more concentrated protein than regular meats, and this allows Victor to pack in a much denser protein count in their kibble. It mixes antioxidant-rich sweet potatoes for complex carbohydrates, and the formula contains DHA which is critical for growing puppies.
This option is specially formulated for breeds that are susceptible to joint problems. It includes multiple protein sources from beef, fish, and chicken meals plus glucosamine and chondroitin for complete joint support. Sweet Potatoes provide dietary fiber and supplements help support long term digestive and immune health.
The high energy formula is specifically for sporting dogs that need to pack in protein and carbs for all-day energy without packing on pounds. It can be challenging to find a food with the type of caloric content sporting dogs need to maintain energy levels, but this formula uses multiple sources of protein with a balance of complex carbohydrates for better energy and focus. It requires less intake, so it’s easier to maintain weight, but you never sacrifice your dog’s energy support.
Customers are usually dedicated fans once they stumble on Victor. It may not be the most well-known brand, but it does have some of the most dedicated followers out there. Most like that the formulas are tailored to specific issues such as sporting dogs or dogs with potential joint problems. They also cite the premium ingredients on the list and the fact that Victor makes everything in house.
What Do People Like And Dislike About Victor Foods?
Meat meals instead of whole proteins aren’t the first on most people’s list. That may dissuade you from purchasing Victor, and it certainly turns off its fair share of people. However, others appreciate the dense protein levels the food provides along with the gluten free and grain free options.
- “I have tried a lot of different foods for my high energy GSD, and without fail, she always looks skin and bones! At one point, I was using another Victor kibble, wet food, and Dyne calorie supplement, and still couldn’t keep her weight up. Now, not only does she eat this food without the additions, without prompting or bribery. But she is FINALLY KEEPING HER WEIGHT ON!!! She does eat more than the recommended amount sometimes, so I’m not sure this would work as directed because we free feed because of her size. But I imagine it would just because it’s been the only food in over a year that has kept her healthy!!! Super impressed! And it’s a great price point!” Carly, chewy.com
- “I had been feeding my two dogs (German Shepherd and GSD-husky mix) Victor hi pro plus and decided to switch to this version since it has glucosamine since their breed is prone to hip dysplasia. One will eat literally anything so I wasn’t worried about him not liking it, but my female is very picky and I was glad to see she LOVES this and will eat all her portion as soon as her bowl is served. It makes me feel good feeding my pooches this high quality food with the added benefit of being great for their joints.” Martha, chewy.com
- “When I first was ordered the food I was trying to find an adult food for my now 1yr old dog (German Shepard husky mix) when she first started eating it she loved it (realizing now it was because it was mixed with her puppy food) once it was given to her on its own she stopped eating aside from a kibble here and there. I went the store and bought a different kind of food and she gobbled it down like never before…she may be a picky dog who knows, regardless she was not a fan of this food” Remi, chewy.com.
Dog Food Review
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
First 5 Ingredients:
Beef Meal, Grain Sorghum, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Whole Grain Millet
The Performance recipe is fantastic for those really active dogs who struggle to keep on the right amount of weight while balancing their nutritional needs. It features multiple sources of protein in the form of meals, which offer a much higher percentage of proteins than whole meats. It supports healthy muscle development and tone and allows dogs to maintain energy levels without empty calories.
It features Omega fatty acids for healthy coat and skin plus other supplements to support digestion and the immune system. The formula also has glucosamine and chondroitin to support joint health and prevent heavy wear and tear often seen in active dogs. These supplements work together to maintain joint cushioning and to help relieve the symptoms of common genetic issues such as dysplasia.
It contains no cheap fillers like corn or soy and uses only natural preservatives to maintain freshness. It’s gluten and grain free, which tends to work better for large breed dogs and uses no processed grain by-products for fillers either.
Picky dogs may not be such big fans of the taste, and if you’re looking for complete proteins, this formula isn’t it. However, for those of you who need higher levels of protein for more efficient energy levels, this style of the recipe could finally help your athletic dog put on the right amounts of weight.