In this article you will find:
- Meet Purina One Dog Food.
- What are the Best Purina One Dog Food Recipes?
- Behind the Brand
- Purina One Recall History List:
- Purina One Dog Food Coupons 2020
- Best Purina One Dog Food Recipes
- Customer Reviews
- Purina One Smart Blend Chicken And Brown Rice
Meet Purina One Dog Food.
Purina is a longstanding brand with wide recognition and wide distribution. You can’t really go anywhere to find dog food and not see Purina on the shelves. They’ve been competing with other long term brands like Pedigree for generations, and have plenty of loyal followers who appreciate giving their dogs quality ingredients at highly affordable prices.
The company has positioned itself in the space between hard to get, expensive brands and cheap brands that use low-quality ingredients and fillers. Its target customer is one who doesn’t quite have the budget for something truly premium but is concerned about the amount of corn and soy plus by-products in some dog foods. Let’s take a look at what this line has to offer and if it can also balance your needs.
What are the Best Purina One Dog Food Recipes?
- Purina ONE SmartBlend Chicken & Rice Adult Formula Dry Dog Food – Most Popular
- Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct with Real Turkey & Venison Adult
- Purina ONE SmartBlend Large Breed Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food
- Purina ONE SmartBlend Lamb & Rice Adult Formula Dry Dog Food
- Purina ONE SmartBlend Large Breed Adult Formula Dry Dog Food
Brand Quick Look
- Parent Company : Nestle
- Founded in : 2001 (current company)
- Made in : Missouri, USA
- Made by : Purina One owned factories in the USA
- Available at : Chewy, Amazon, petsmart.com
- Types of Food : Dry, canned
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : Yes
- Recalled in Past? : Yes
Behind the Brand
Purina goes all the way back to the 1800s under the name Purina mills where it manufactured foods for a variety of farm animals. The company expanded to include house animals and pets. At the turn of the century the founder, William Danforth, joined forces with Webster Eagerly, the founder of Ralstonism, to form the Ralston Purina Company to produce breakfast cereals that would satisfy Ralstonism’s strict dietary requirements. Fortunately for everyone, that movement didn’t last.
Purina made foods under the name “chow” for several decades including the well-known Purina Dog Chow but sold the farm feed portion to British Petroleum and later the pet portion to a few different parent companies. Purina One is the brand’s remake of several classic Purina recipes designed to be a better-formulated budget brand available in grocery and big box stores.
While the formulas still contain budget ingredients, this was one of the first commercial dog foods to have some type of meat listed as the first ingredient. It was also one of the first dog foods made with natural ingredients to have a wide distribution on a national scale. In fact, Purina One positions itself in this space between cheap food and premium food by blending natural ingredients with meat as the first listed with other more inexpensive ingredients to help bring down the cost.
What Types of Dog Foods Does Purina One Offer?
Purina One offer dry and wet foods formulated explicitly for life stages. Adult foods include a variety of issue-specific foods as well, including weight control or breed size. It also includes puppy and senior foods with issue-specific formulations as well. While they may still trigger some allergies in certain dogs, the formula is designed to be less difficult for your dog to digest than cheap foods with corn or soy as the first ingredient.
Their puppy food is a blend of meat and complex carbohydrates with essential DHA for brain development. The large breed formula will help control growth and build strong bones.
- Healthy Puppy Formula
- Large Breed Puppy Formula
Adult foods are divided into a few different categories. There are grain-free options and one for sensitive systems (limited ingredients). You can get kibble specifically for your small breed’s unique needs and large breed to protect joints and bones. There are even healthy weight formulas for those dogs who have trouble.
Adult Natural Formula:
- Chicken and Rice
- Lamb and Rice
- Salmon and Tuna
- Turkey and Venison
- Grain-free Beef and Sweet Potato
- Grain-free Chicken and Sweet Potato
- Healthy Weight
- Large Breed
- Small Breed
- Small Bites
- Sensitive Systems
Wet foods have a good deal of variety including grain-free options for sensitive dogs. They’re good for dogs who can’t chew kibbles or who need something added to their kibble to encourage them to eat.
- Beef and Barley Tender Cuts
- Beef and Brown Rice Tender Cuts
- Chicken and Brown Rice Ground
- Chicken and Brown Rice Tender Cuts
- Classic Ground Lamb and Long Grain Rice
- Lamb And Brown Rice Tender Cuts
- Turkey and Barley Classic Ground
True Instincts Wet Food:
- Beef and Salmon Tender Cuts
- Chicken and Duck Tender Cuts
- Turkey and Game Bird Tender Cuts
- Turkey and Venison Tender Cuts
- Grain Free Formula Chicken and Duck
- Grain Free Beef and Wild Caught Salmon
- Grain Free Real Game Bird
- Grain Free Turkey and Venison
Purina One Recall History List:
- In 2011 Purina One issued a recall for possible salmonella, but this recall only covered their cat food portion. However, in 2013, the recall happened again for possible salmonella contamination, this time with the Chicken and Whole Barley dog food recipe. Although other lines from Purina have experienced other recalls, 2013 was the only time Purina One Dog food experienced a recall.
Purina One Dog Food Coupons 2020
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Best Purina One Dog Food Recipes
Here are a few stand out choices from Purina One. Although many of their formulas are very similar, a few may help with some issues your having with your dog.
Vibrant Maturity uses real meat and supplements to help maintain not only your senior’s weight and joint health, but it targets degeneration in mental acuity so common in aging dogs. They believe your dog will begin acting more alert within a few weeks of the food and should regain some of their former energy.
This recipe is a staple. It uses real chicken and healthy brown rice for a good balance of protein and carbohydrates. It’s a flavor most dogs love and is one of the most readily available formulas Purina One makes. If there’s a store around, it probably has this option.
True Instinct ups the protein levels to accommodate more athletic dogs. This one features a grain free recipe for sensitive stomachs and uses sweet potato for a more wholesome carbohydrate choice. Overall, it has plenty of dense nutrition for dogs that need a boost.
Customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive for Purina One. Although there are some outliers, Purina One is praised for having variety indicated by different life stages and different issue specific formulas.
They have budget grain-free options for sensitive dogs, specific formulas for aging, and True Instinct replaces a lot of the fillers and ups the protein for more athletic dogs who need a diet closer to canine ancestral diet. People also praise the taste typically because some dogs are very picky about kibble.
What Do People Like And Dislike About Purina One?
People love that Purina One is a budget option with better ingredients. We understand that not everyone has the means to buy costly dog foods, but that doesn’t mean pet owners don’t love or care for their pets. Purina One is a good option for those caught in the middle of wanting something better for their furry companion’s health without breaking the bank.
Purina One’s wet foods are particularly popular for their wide variety of flavors. Their canned foods often help dogs who are pickier and don’t always want to eat kibble.
- “I have been feeding my three dogs a high protein grain free kibble for over a year now. Spending $50-$60 every two weeks and I could not get a solid poop. Before I brought my first Malamute home I used Purina One-never had an issue. For whatever reason felt that now I needed to use premier kibble, no grain-high protein and I personally did not see the difference. Labels very similar and my vet said that Purina One or Purina Pro is perfectly fine. Finally frustrated years later and him still having soft to runny stools I went back to ole faithful again. Since then he has stopped licking his paws profusely, has far more energy and solid healthy poops. Yay for me” Mic2metoo, chewy.com
- “I’ve been feeding this to Oliver for a while now. It’s got a great price point, and for the most part he likes the dried chicken morsels, but he is also picky and most of the time I have to mix in wet food to convince him to eat it. He also has been scratching and biting at his paws, so I had to switch him off this and to the American Journey grain-free food. It also has great reviews, so check it out! If you use grain-free food and like this brand I also suggest the Purina Smart Blend Grain-Free wet food.” OllieJ, chewy.com
Dog Food Review
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
First 5 Ingredients: Chicken (Source of Glucosamine), Rice Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal (Source of Glucosamine)
Purina One’s Smart Blend Chicken and Brown Rice recipe is a good recipe considering its usual place in the world. It sits next to bargain foods that use no real meats or are full of fillers with little but empty calories to sustain your pet. Purina One does have ingredients that we’d rather not see in our dog food, but just as some can’t afford to purchase organic, seasonal, locally sourced food, some also can’t afford those fancy dog foods either.
Would everyone be better off with that type of upscale food? Yes. But it just isn’t possible for everyone. Produce from your basic grocery store may have some pesticides or may be out of season, but it’s still going to do better things for your body than that box of processed, microwavable food, right?
Your dog food is the same. Purina One offers you an alternative to genuinely terrible foods while maintaining the balance between what you’re able to afford or what you can find and what would be the ideal situation (albeit expensive). It has real meat as the first ingredient and follows it up with some corn ingredients. There are supplements to help with skin, bones, and the immune system, and some fruits and veggies to help round things out.
We’d rather not have artificial colors or corn and soy fillers, but overall, dogs do well enough on this formula. The kibble is a good size, and dogs get plenty of energy. Most dogs don’t mind the taste and look forward to the texture in the chicken bits as well as the basic kibble. Overall, it’s the best of some bad-to-average options when you aren’t able to find or afford a fancier, small batch dog food.
It’s also good for those of you with multiple dogs who can’t imagine spending a million dollars a month trying to keep them fed. The puppy food is especially suitable for this situation.