In this article you will find:
- Meet Primal Dog Food
- What are the Best Primal Dog Food Recipes?
- Brand Quick Look
- Behind the Brand
- What Types of Dog Food Does Primal Foods Offer?
- Primal offers a seemingly endless array of raw products for your dogs to enjoy. We are amazed by the number of offerings this company has from freeze-dried foods to bones and even goat milk. Primal displays passion for what they do and they care about sourcing and providing only the best for your pups.
- Primal Nuggets
- Primal Pronto Scoop and Serve
- Starter Packs
- Bone Broth
- Raw Goat Milk
- Raw Frozen Mixes
- Raw Meaty Bones
- Recreational Bones
- Primal Recall History List:
- Primal Dog Food Coupons 2020
- Customer Reviews
- Primal Pronto Lamb Dog Food Review
Meet Primal Dog Food
Primal is a premium raw food company that positions itself as an industry leader in the area of all-natural organic pet foods. They believe that dogs should eat in a way that closely mimics how they would if they were out in the wild.
The food contains the highest quality ingredients and 100% edible-grade meats and certified organic produce.
The company refers to their food as “species-appropriate nutrition,” so everything they include in their food is put in there for a specific reason.
All the food gets made with fresh, antibiotic and steroid free muscle meat, organs, and bones without any added hormones.
Lastly, they do not use any pet-grade meats in any of their products. This means that you as a human would be able to eat this food and it would be considered healthy for you. All of their protein gets naturally sourced from ranches in the United States, New Zealand, Australia, and Europe.
Primal’s Quality Guarantee:
No grain, gluten, corn, wheat, soy, synthetic vitamins, steroids, hormones, antibiotics, or crates get used in the process of creating their food.
All the animals are grass fed, vegetable fed, wild caught, ethically raised, manufactured in the USA, human-edible, certified organic, and sustainably sourced.
What are the Best Primal Dog Food Recipes?
- Primal Chicken Formula Nuggets Grain-Free Raw Freeze-Dried Dog Food – Most Popular
- Primal Beef Formula Nuggets Grain-Free Raw Freeze-Dried Dog Food
- Primal Lamb Formula Nuggets Grain-Free Raw Freeze-Dried Dog Food
- Primal Turkey & Sardine Formula Nuggets Grain-Free Raw Freeze-Dried
- Primal Pork Formula Nuggets Grain-Free Raw Freeze-Dried Dog Food
Brand Quick Look
- Parent Company: None
- Founded in: 2000
- Made in: California USA
- Available at: Local Retailers, and limited products available on Chewy, Amazon, Petsmart
- Types of Food: Raw, Freeze-Dried, Meaty Bones, Treats
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : Yes
- Recalled in Past? : Yes
Behind the Brand
The story of Primal Foods started in early 2000 when the founder Matt Koss saw that his dog was showing early signs of renal failure. He tried everything to help with this issue to no avail and decided it was time to take serious action.
He took his pup to a holistic veterinarian who recommended switching him to a diet of bones and raw food which closely mimics how his dog would eat in the wild.
It didn’t take long before he noticed Luna was not only eating better, but she showed signs of increased energy and overall quality of life. Once Matt saw these incredible results he felt like he had to share it with the world.
Matt set out to create a pet food brand focused on using only the best human-grade ingredients to feed our pets like they are a member of our family. Since then, Primal has changed the lives of pets and pet owners nationwide.
What Types of Dog Food Does Primal Foods Offer?
Primal offers a seemingly endless array of raw products for your dogs to enjoy. We are amazed by the number of offerings this company has from freeze-dried foods to bones and even goat milk. Primal displays passion for what they do and they care about sourcing and providing only the best for your pups.
The nuggets come from their complete formula line which is meant to be as close to simple dog food as possible. Your dog’s whole nutrition comes from feeding them this one type of food, so it’s simple and easy for busy dog owners.
The food also comes pre-portioned, so you don’t have to think about chopping or portioning anything out. These nuggets also come in an endless amount of variety so jump aboard.
- Turkey and Sardine
Let’s take a more in-depth look into the rabbit formula for example. Primal’s goal is to make sure that all of their food contains real muscle meat as the first ingredient with supplemental organs and vegetables to follow. The rabbit formula succeeds in doing that with the first five ingredients being: Rabbit, organic collard greens, organic squash, organic celery, and rabbit livers.
As you dive deeper down the list of ingredients, they do not get worse like a lot of pet foods; there is nothing that sounds like a chemical or anything unhealthy at all, and we are seriously impressed by this dog food.
Primal Pronto Scoop and Serve
The primal pronto line is also part of the complete formula, and it looks like dry dog food, but it’s frozen, thawed, and served. Similar to the rest of Primal foods, it contains all-natural human-grade ingredients and comes with plenty of nutritional information to make you feel good about your decision to go raw. We like this option because it mimics dry food so if you’re trying to transition your pup away from hard food and they are giving you a tough time this might be the best option for you. The food only comes in a four-pound bag though, but if you are feeding your pup a more balanced and nutritious diet, they shouldn’t have to eat as much.
Here’s a list of flavors and options:
- Turkey and Sardine
Let’s take a closer look at the pork formula for example. This food provides a wholly balanced raw diet for your dog so you could feed them this food alone and they would receive all the protein, fat, fiber, and carbs they need to live a healthy life. With every food you look at your get a guaranteed analysis breakdown of the nutrients in each food. This one contains 13% protein, 7% fat, 1% fiber, and .2% carbs. We like to see more fiber in our dog’s diets because most hard food contains between 3-6% fiber, so that’s a little disappointing, but you could always supplement something in or choose a different formula.
There is limited information available online about what a starter pack is but mostly it’s a trial pack that contains a few different flavor nuggets so your pup can try it before you buy it. The canine starter pack comes with a beef, chicken, pork, and turkey/sardine nugget to try. That is all the information we could find on the company website.
Primal recommends adding bone broth to your dog’s diet because it adds necessary moisture, digestion support, and joint support to their regular diet. You can add it into your commercial food or supplement it alongside some of Primals offerings. Bone broth is a great way to help ensure your pet is always hydrated and healthy .
Here are some of the flavors they offer:
Let’s take a look at the beef bone broth. There isn’t any information about the extracting and preparation process behind the creation of this bone broth, but we would assume it happens through boiling the boils and sifting out any imperfections. In addition to regular beef bones, the broth contains a variety of vegetables like squash, bok choy, and celery. The bone broth gets sold frozen at local retailers, and they recommend thawing it when you are about to use it and introducing bone broth slowly to their diet. It comes in an easy to pour, resealable pouch.
Raw Goat Milk
According to Primal, goat milk is known as the “universal milk” because it’s rich in vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, trace elements, enzymes, proteins, and fatty acids. All of the milk is sourced ethically and humanely from free-range goats and can get fed to dogs in every stage of life.
They recommend adding goat milk as supplementary nutrition to your dog’s already healthy diet.
Raw Frozen Mixes
This food blend is intended for use as a supplement you can add to your dog’s diet. They come frozen in a long block similar to ground beef or sausage that you would buy at a grocery store, and they recommend mixing it in with commercial pet food to help add more nutritional value to the food. It comes in some of the following flavors:
Raw Meaty Bones
Upon first glance, these bones appear to be raw pieces of meat, so they look a bit intimidating, but Primal says they are useful for tooth, gum, and jaw health in canines. They are rich in calcium and are great as an extra treat every once in a while. They come in the following options:
- Chicken Necks
- Turkey Necks
- Chicken Backs
Let’s take a more in-depth look at the turkey neck option. These necks look exactly like what you would pull out of the turkey at Thanksgiving (because they are). Primal says your dog can completely consume the bone because they are soft and they do not splinter and become sharp. They do recommend your dog only eats these when supervised though.
These bones look more like the typical dog bones you would buy from the pet store, and they are not intended to get consumed completely. Instead, your dog would chew on them and receive all the nutritional benefits from the meat on the bone, and you would discard the inner bone. These provide necessary exercise to your dog’s jaw, and they help massage their gums and clean their teeth. They come in a wide variety of different sizes, flavors, and shapes for your pup.
Primal offers nutritional treats that contain all the best ingredients as their food does. They prepare these treats using low-temperature, slow cooking techniques, so all of the nutritional value remains even when the food is freeze-dried.
They recommend using the treats as a healthy alternative to processed treats and for obedience training rewards. They come in some of the following flavors:
- Turkey Liver
- Jerky Pork Nibs
- Organic Chicken Nibs
- Beef Nibs
- Chicken Chips
- Dry Roasted Venison Lung
- Dry Roasted Buffalo Liver
Primal Recall History List:
Since Primal’s founding in 2000, there have been three recalls. Here they are in reverse chronological order.
- December 2017 – Primal recalls freeze dried chicken, duck, and turkey formula for ground bone sizes being too large in the food.
- March 2015 – Primal recalls a raw turkey formula for low thiamine levels.
- May 2011 – Primal recalls chicken and salmon formula and chicken and salmon nuggets for possible salmonella contamination.
Primal Dog Food Coupons 2020
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Primal products have a limited availability online, so we were only able to find reviews on Chewy.com of a specific freeze-dried nugget product. There are also many testimonials available on their website, but there is no validity to those reviews. Here are some real-life reviews of what customers think of Primal Foods.
- It’s a hit! – One of my two dogs has allergies. I’ve switched his food several times. This is one of the only dog foods which does not make him itch. When switching their food, I did it gradually. I would offer the kibble they were coming off of in the morning and this in the evening. It was evident that they enjoyed the taste of this food much more than their current variety. So glad to have found this product! – Chewy Customer
- Premium stuff – This is good stuff. I crush up 2 or 3 blocks and mix with kibble and add warm water. My lab likes it a lot and does well on it. I feel good about the quality. However, even using such a small quantity, a $30 bag lasts a little over a week.. which is extravagant. I will have to find an alternative and use this more sparingly. – Chewy Customer
- Not what I thought it would be – I have always purchased the frozen variety and thought this would be a better option. It seems to take forever to get the nuggets to soak in the water. I’m going back to the frozen ones at my local pet store. More expensive, but less hassle. – Chewy Customer
- Time-consuming and does not readily absorb liquid – My dog didn’t like this as well as the frozen. It’s a lot of extra work to cut it up small enough to get it to absorb the liquid. Then I had to squeeze the liquid into it and leave it overnight. Good for traveling but inferior to frozen. – Chewy Customer
Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Flavor: 4 out of 5
Ingredients: 5 out of 5
Nutritional Value: 5 out of 5
Preparation: 4 out of 5
Price: 2.5 out of 5
First 5 Ingredients:
Lamb Hearts, Lamb Livers, Ground Lamb Bones, Organic Kale, Organic Carrots
- Crude Protein 13%
- Crude Fat 12%
- Crude Fiber 3%
- Moisture 68%
- Ash 1.8%
When you take a look at a premium food like this, there is no argument as to whether or not it is healthy for your pet. It becomes a battle of whether you should buy it because of price and time-consuming preparation.
The ingredients are entirely organic, prepared, and produced in a way that some of the most high-end food manufacturers do for the best human foods in the world. If you have the budget to feed your dog the absolute best food money can buy, look no further than Primal Foods.