In this article you will find:
- Meet Nulo Dog Food
- What are the Best Nulo Dog Food Recipes?
- Behind the Brand
- Nulo Recall History List:
- Nulo Dog Food Coupons 2019
- Best Nulo Dog Food Recipes
- Customer Reviews
- Nulo Turkey And Sweet Potato Dog Food Review
Meet Nulo Dog Food
Nulo is an independently owned, holistic dog food company that’s been around for about ten years. The focus of the company is whole foods with premium ingredients designed to mimic the canine ancestral diet with the convenience of shelf-stable kibble.
Nulo isn’t quite widely available the way that some other dog foods with mass distribution are, but if you can find it, it’s an excellent holistic alternative to some store brands with lots of cheap fillers. It’s good for dogs who are sensitive to artificial ingredients and common fillers.
The price point isn’t so expensive that most people couldn’t reach it and it does an excellent job of balancing the convenience of kibble with nutrition more attuned to your dog’s ancestral needs, so let’s take a look to see if Nulo may help solve some of your dog’s most pressing nutritional needs.
What are the Best Nulo Dog Food Recipes?
- Nulo Freestyle Turkey & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food – Most Popular
- Nulo Freestyle Salmon & Peas Recipe Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food
- Nulo Freestyle Trout & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Senior Dry Dog Food
- Nulo Freestyle Lamb & Chickpeas Recipe Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food
- Nulo Freestyle Cod & Lentils Recipe Grain-Free Adult Trim Dry Dog Food
Brand Quick Look
- Parent Company : Nulo, Inc.
- Founded in : 2009
- Made in : USA
- Made by : Dry – CJ Foods (Kansas, Nebraska), Wet – Simmons Foods
- Available at : *list of 3-4 online retailers starting with…Chewy, Amazon…
- Types of Food : Wet, dry, freeze-dried, pouch
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : Yes
- Recalled in Past? : No
Behind the Brand
In 2009, Michal Landa left his corporate job to create a company that dealt with pet walking and pet sitting. He couldn’t find the right help with his dog, Max, and eventually, the company expanded to include pet foods.
Michael was horrified at the rate of obesity and diabetes in dogs and soon felt that dog foods filled with empty fillers and too many carbs could be the reason dogs were having such a difficult time staying healthy. His company sought to counteract that trend by producing nutrient dense, meat-based foods that were more easily digestible.
The company is independently owned and manufactures foods in processing plants that typically handle the highest quality dog foods in the country. Both Nulo’s test kitchens and the processing plants have consistently received independent accolades as well as gone through certification processes to ensure the highest quality standards.
It focuses on meat-first recipes with low glycemic carbs designed to help keep weight controlled naturally. WHole supplements help with skin, bones, and joints and the perfect protein and carbohydrate blend helps keep dogs full all day with plenty of energy.
What Types of Dog Foods Does Nulo Offer?
Nulo offers a range of recipes that include both traditional kibble, pate-style wet foods, and freeze-dried raw for those with very demanding nutritional needs. Each recipe has been tested, and all were created by veterinarians and nutrition experts to be the best diet dogs could get.
The first three or four ingredients come from meat-based protein sources with quality carbohydrates and no grains, cheap fillers, or artificial colors. They also contain Nulo’s probiotic blend for healthy digestion.
- Chicken and Sweet Potato
- Salmon and Peas
- Turkey and Sweet Potato
- Chicken and Peas
- Lamb and Chickpeas
- Lamb and Lentils
- Salmon and Peas
- Salmon and Sweet Potato
- Turkey and Sweet Potato
- Small Breed Turkey and Chickpeas
- Small Breed Salmon and Red Lentils
- Large Breed Turkey and Peas
- Weight Management Chicken and Sweet Potato
- Adult Trim Cod and Lentils
- Chicken and Lentils
- Trout and Sweet Potato
The Limited Ingredient line reduces protein down to a single source plus just a handful of other ingredients to help smooth digestion and remove some complicated food allergy triggers. These combinations are suitable for both puppies and adults with chronic digestion and inflammation issues.
- Turkey and Chickpeas
- Alaska Pollack
- Turkey and Lentils
Freeze dried raw is a safer, more convenient alternative to raw food diets including frozen and homemade. It’s suitable for all life stages and can be added to kibble or served as a stand-alone meal.
- Beef with Apples
- Duck with Pear
- Lamb with Raspberries
- Salmon and Turkey with Strawberries
- Turkey with Cranberries
Pouches are limited ingredient recipes that use real bits of meat in a vegetable broth. They’re great for adding to meals or customizing meals. These are intended for intermittent feeding and are suitable for both puppies and adults.
- Beef, Beef Liver, and Kale
- Chicken and Green Beans
- Chicken, Duck, and Kale
- Chicken, Salmon, and Carrot
- Lamb, Saba, and Kelp
- Mackerel, Chicken, and Mussel
The Pates are wet food style cans that come in both six ounces and 13-ounce options for smaller and larger dogs. They have protein-rich, lower carb recipes with no carrageen, fillers, or artificial colors and flavors.
- Chicken, Salmon, and Lentils
- Turkey, Cod, and Sweet Potato
- Beef, Peas, and Carrots
- Chicken, Carrots, and Peas
- Duck and Chickpeas
- Lamb and Lentils
- Turkey and Sweet Potato
- Turkey, Salmon, and Chickpeas
- Small Breed Lamb and Sweet Potato
- Small Breed Turkey and Lentils
- Adult Trim Turkey and Cod
- Weight Management Turkey and Cod
Nulo Recall History List:
- Nulo has no recall history, which is excellent for a ten-year run. While we know that sometimes things happen and that there’s always the possibility of accidents, we are very impressed with Nulo’s commitment to high quality so far.
Nulo Dog Food Coupons 2019
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Best Nulo Dog Food Recipes
Here are a few of our favorite offerings from this company. While we do think that any of the choices would be great ones for your dog, these caught our eye.
The Turkey and Sweet Potato is a classic Nulo recipe that uses whole turkey as the first protein source with low glycemic carbohydrates for all-day energy. It has no artificial flavors or colors and no cheap fillers. Minerals and vitamins come from whole fruits and veggies while Nulo’s probiotic blend helps keep digestion on track.
The high protein formula uses beef, organs, and bones freeze dried for a high protein, densely nutritious start to the day. It uses fruits and veggies starting with apples for vitamins and minerals that are easily digestible. Plus, Nulo’s probiotic blend rounds it out to help keep digestion on track and support the immune system.
Their puppy recipe is a grain free option that can help with healthy growth. It’s low glycemic and contains guaranteed levels of calcium and phosphorus for healthy bone growth. DHA helps your puppy’s brain develop properly, and plenty of antioxidants and probiotics help to support the immune system and healthy digestion as your puppy transitions from milk to solids.
Nulo gets consistently good reviews both from customers and from reviewers who’ve tried their various recipes. Chewy and Amazon reviews are overwhelmingly positive with over four and a half stars for average ratings for most of their recipes. Overall, they’re one of the top-rated brands around in the holistic pet food arena without being on the high end of expensive.
What do people like and dislike about Nulo dog food?
Customers appreciate that Nulo gives their pets nutrition without common fillers that can cause digestive issues. The foods do away with cheap fillers but still don’t break the bank. Most dogs also enjoy the taste of Nulo’s kibbles, and customers appreciate that it can satisfy even somewhat picky dogs.
If you use wet foods as supplements or a treat for kibble diets, their canned foods are equally as holistic. Low glycemic carbohydrates can also help alleviate some of the weight issues owners are experiencing with their dogs and customers praised that aspect as well.
Some customers didn’t like that the ingredients included things like peas and legumes. These are common carbohydrate alternatives in grain free foods, but a tentative link between Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy and foods with these ingredients have been established. Talk to your vet about switching if you are worried. Other minor complaints included some gas issues and some dogs still not liking the kibble (there’s always one, right?
- “My dogs have been on this food for about a year now. After switching around a bit due to food allergies and wanting what was best for the dogs, I found Nulo. Their coats have never been shinier and they love love love this food! No more dryness in their coats in the colder winter months just shine healthy coats and happy dogs. There’s a variety of food flavors to choose from and the dogs love them all. Chewy makes it easy with delivery which is super-fast and the auto ship allows me to avoid the pet store… to be honest Chewy’s pricing is so much better I don’t think I will ever step foot in those places again. Win Win for everyone!” Danielle, chewy.com
- “my dogs have been on this for 2 weeks now, 1-week transition and 1 week all Nulo. They are having the worst gas ever! And the reason I switched was to help ease the allergies in one dog and I think they are worse with even more watery eyes. I’ll be switching back to Pro Plan before I finish the bag.” 3corgis, chewy.com
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Salmon Meal, Chickpeas, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid)
Nulo’s Turkey and Sweet Potato formula is an excellent all-purpose adult dog food with plenty of wholesome protein and low glycemic carbohydrates. The recipe gives dogs energy all day with no extra fillers that could cause excess weight.
It uses plenty of fruits and veggies for vitamins and minerals to support bone structure, skin and coat health, and a thriving immune system. It has plenty of omega fatty acids to keep the coat shiny and soft, plus Nulo’s probiotic formula for proper digestion and immune function. It can also help reduce inflammation and keep your dog’s bathroom habits regular.
It does have a slightly smaller kibble size, which could be useful for some dogs. Be careful with larger dogs that they don’t eat too fast, putting them at the risk of bloat. It’s great to mix in with some canned food for seniors to make chewing easier and to deliver all the protein your senior could need.
Nulo’s recipe is free of cheap fillers such as corn or soy, artificial colors and flavors, and by-product meals. It does use peas and lentils so talk to your vet about heart risk before deciding to switch completely. Overall, it’s a wonderful recipe from an independent company and one you should seriously consider when you’re ready to upgrade from mediocre store brands.