In this article you will find:
- Meet K9 Natural Dog Food
- What are the Best K9 Dog Food Recipes?
- Brand Quick Look
- Behind the Brand
- What Types of Dog Food Does K9 Natural Offer?
- Why a Raw Diet?
- K9 Natural Recall History List:
- K9 Natural Dog Food Coupons 2020
- Best K9 Natural Dog Food Recipes
- Customer Reviews
- K9 Natural: Just Add a Little on Top
Meet K9 Natural Dog Food
K9 Natural is an all-natural pet food brand specializing in free-range proteins from New Zealand. A lot of their foods contain high levels of protein and fats with low carbohydrates and no fillers. All the food lines use real meat as the first ingredient with no by-products, GMO’s, or grain.
The company offers freeze dried foods, canned, as well as dry.
The main thing that separates K9 Natural from a lot of other pet food brands is that their food contains 90% raw meat from a single source of protein. The goal of this company is to closely mimic what your pup would eat if they were still out in the wild.
In this article, we’re taking a closer look at K9 Natural to pick apart everything about this food so you can make an educated decision about whether or not you want to feed this to your pup.
What are the Best K9 Dog Food Recipes?
- K9 Natural Grass-Fed Lamb Feast Grain-Free Canned Dog Food – Most Popular
- K9 Natural Grass-Fed Beef Feast Grain-Free Canned Dog Food
- K9 Natural Grass-Fed Beef Feast with Hoki Oil Grain-Free Puppy
- K9 Natural Booster Lamb Green Tripe Grain-Free Canned Dog
- K9 Natural Lamb Feast Raw Grain-Free Freeze-Dried Dog Food
Brand Quick Look
- Parent Company: K9 Natural
- Founded in: 2006
- Made in: Christchurch, New Zealand
- Available at: Chewy and Amazon
- Types of Food: Raw Freeze-Dried, Dry, and Canned
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : Yes
- Recalled in Past? : Yes
Behind the Brand
K9 Naturals food line got inspired by its New Zealand upbringing. The company’s goal is to provide the best blend of nature into nutrition for all its customers. They use high-quality local ingredients to pack a high protein and fat content into all their foods.
Each of their lines contains sustainable, free-range, and grass-fed ingredients.
The manufacturer says that New Zealand is the best place to find healthy pet food ingredients because of its abundance of real natural resources. They also claim to employ the highest standards of production and world-class research alongside animal nutritionists to make sure your pups get only the best of the best.
What Types of Dog Food Does K9 Natural Offer?
K9 Natural offers three different lines of dog food. They have freeze-dried raw foods that can get used as a meal or topper. Their process of preparing this line allows them to lock in all the nutrition and flavor without requiring refrigeration or preservatives.
K9 Natural also offers traditional canned food free from gelling agents or preservatives. The only thing they add to their wet foods is all-natural New Zealand water.
Next, they have a specific line of toppers that are also freeze-dried but in small batches and pieces so you can sprinkle the food over a standard dry kibble for added nutrition.
- Lamb Feast
- Beef Feast
- Chicken Feast
- Hoki and Grass Fed Beef
- Lamb Green Tripe Food Topper
- Beef Green Tripe Food Topper
- Grass-Fed Lamb
- Grass-Fed Beef with Hoki Oil
- Lamb Green Tripe
- Grass-Fed Beef Grain-Free
- Beef Green Tripe
Why a Raw Diet?
We wanted to touch briefly on something that makes this food different from many. Raw food diets for dogs has become a popular fad, and it has pros and cons.
Raw foods consist of muscle meat, ground bones, organs, raw eggs, and some dairy. Experts say this type of diet can help your dog maintain a shinier coat, healthier teeth, and higher energy. Some people also say this type of food is easier to digest.
Of course, when you’re dealing with raw food, there is the possibility of human contamination when you’re handling this food, but sometimes when there is ground bone in the foods, it can cause an internal puncture in your pup if everything does not get crushed well enough.
Many raw foods also contain an unnatural balance of protein and fat versus carbohydrates. A high-protein and fat diet is tough on dogs’ kidneys and can cause them to gain a lot of weight if they are not active. This diet is commonly used for working dogs and show pups.
K9 Natural Recall History List:
- Currently, there is one recall of K9 Natural dog food from April of 2018.
- K9 Natural voluntarily recalled four batches of its Frozen Chicken Feast for possible Listeria contamination.
K9 Natural Dog Food Coupons 2020
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Best K9 Natural Dog Food Recipes
In this section, we’re going to pick apart one of the most popular lines of dog food from K9 Natural. This dog food has the most reviews on Chewy so we assume it has one of the highest purchase rates. Giving you the most information about the ingredients, formula, and reputation of the food will help you make the best decision for you and your pup.
The goal of K9 Natural is to improve the quality of life of all dogs by helping their owners better understand their dietary needs. They believe that keeping food raw is the best way to get the most nutrients and benefits into your dog’s bowl.
In this food, they use 85% raw meat, crushed bone, blood and organ meat from grass-fed, free-range, and hormone free protein from New Zealand.
This type of diet is known to help your pup sustain healthy skin, coat, and joints so they can maintain an active lifestyle.
- Lamb Liver
- Lamb Heart
- Lamb Tripe
- Lamb Blood
- Lamb Spleen
- Lamb Kidney
- Ground Lamb Bone
- Sunflower Oil
- Flaxseed Flakes
- Brown Kelp
- New Zealand Green Mussel
- Potassium Sulphate
- Dried Kelp
- Vitamin E Supplement
- Zinc Proteinate
- Iron Proteinate
- Magnesium Oxide
- Selenium Yeast
- Copper Proteinate
- Manganese Proteinate
- Thiamine Mononitrate
- Vitamin D3 Supplement
Usually, we focus on the first five ingredients, but we wanted to show you how natural and human-grade the components of this food are. The only problem with food like this is it results in extremely high levels of protein and fat.
- 35.5% Protein
- 37% Fat
- 2.5% Fiber
The only type of dogs that should have this type of food is highly active, pregnant, or working dogs. If your pup does not have a large area to run around or if they are older eating food as this will result in weight gain.
It’s always important to consult with your vet before starting a diet high in protein and fat.
That said, you can’t go wrong in terms of feeding your dog the best of the best ingredients. Many customers are concerned by the high price, but we would recommend using this food as more of a supplement because of the high fat and high price. If you add a little to the top of your dog’s dry kibble, you’re giving them added nutrition without breaking the bank.
We find that the best way to know if a dog food will work for your pup is to try it for yourself and find out. Every dog has a different palette, and there is no one-size-fits-all for anyone. The next best thing you can do is read reviews from customers who have already tried the product.
Most of K9 Naturals foods have four stars or better on Chewy with many of the positive reviews stating that their dogs loved the flavor and that it works great for picky eaters. Some users also say that the formula helped their dogs dry and itchy skin.
Some of the critical reviews center around the price, but they are few and far in between.
Here are some reviews from real customers who tried K9 Naturals.
- I got this for my bully in the hopes it would help with his skin issues, as I’ve read a lot about how a raw diet is best. It’s only been a week or 2, and I’m only using it as a topper to his regular food at the moment, but I do see some improvement in his skin. Also, he appears to love it! His normal food will sit untouched most of the day, but he eats the Lamb Feast immediately. – Chewy Customer
It’s a hit with our picky eater.
- As a picky mom, I love that the first six ingredients are all from the lamb. I’m also pleasantly surprised that blood is the second ingredient! I am starting to learn that blood is very important in a dog’s diet. We feed fresh, but my tiny is a VERY picky eater. And she has been eating this no problem for the past few weeks with no complaints! Happy mom and happy dogs! Also, SUPER fast shipping! Pricey, but worth it. – Chewy Customer
Not as a primary food
- The dogs like this product but it’s not cost-effective as a primary source of food or even as an addition to every day feeding. The product is bulky, so the amount supplied doesn’t last very long. Having 2 Golden Retrievers, there are more cost-effective options to supplement the kibble. I will buy this product once in a while as a treat. – Chewy Customer
- My toy poodle gained weight with this food, But I do think it’s good quality just not for small dogs. – Chewy Customer
K9 Natural: Just Add a Little on Top
We’ve said it throughout this article, and we’ll throw it in here one more time. K9 Natural is a high-quality food consisting of some of the best ingredients we have ever seen in freeze-dried dog food.
The downside to human-grade ingredients is, the food contains a high concentration of fat, and it comes at a hefty price tag.
The company recommends using the food as a topper for a more affordable, lower-quality, dry kibble and we would also suggest doing that.
If you’re concerned about the amount of nutrition your pup is getting every day, consider adding K9 Natural to their diet.