In this article you will find:
- What is the Best High Fiber Dog Foods?
- 5 Reasons to Choose a High Fiber Dog Food
- Best Sources (Ingredients) for Fiber
- How much Fiber is Considered “High Fiber”?
- Overall Best High Fiber Dog Food
- 5 More Top Rated Dog Foods that are Higher in Fiber
- FirstMate Endurance/Puppy Pacific Ocean Fish Meal Formula Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Solid Gold Fit & Fabulous Low Fat/Low Calorie with Fresh Caught Alaskan Pollock Adult Dry Dog Food
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Reduced Fat Turkey & Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Instinct by Nature's Variety Raw Boost Healthy Weight Grain-Free Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
We all know how important the four-legged addition to your family is, and that you want to ensure they are receiving all the right ingredients when it comes to mealtime. That is why we have put together a list of the 7 of the best high fiber dog food options for your furry friend to enjoy, as well as ensuring they are getting the nutrients that they need for a balanced diet. If you are unsure as to whether a high fiber diet is suitable for your dog, make sure you speak to your veterinarian first!
What is the Best High Fiber Dog Foods?
- Taste of the Wild Pine Forest Grain-Free Dry Dog Food – Most Popular
- American Journey Healthy Weight Chicken & Sweet Potato – Buy 1 Get 1 FREE
- FirstMate Endurance/Puppy Pacific Ocean Fish Meal Formula
- Solid Gold Fit & Fabulous Low Fat/Low Calorie
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Reduced Fat Turkey & Chicken Recipe
- Instinct by Nature's Variety Raw Boost Healthy Weight Grain-Free
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
5 Reasons to Choose a High Fiber Dog Food
- Digestion Aid: This is the most common advantage to a high fiber diet and the one that everyone is aware of. Fiber offers the regulation of digestion function through a variety of functions – it can draw water into the intestine if your dog is constipated or draw water from the intestine if your canine has diarrhea. It also provides additional ‘bulk’ to your dog’s poop, ensuring smooth digestive function.
- Improved Blood Sugar Levels: This is also linked to the next two points – blood sugar levels are important for both weight and canine diabetes. Adding proper amounts of fiber into your dog’s diet ensures their blood sugar stays within a healthy and consistent range, which helps fight obesity and avoid a diabetes diagnosis. The same applies to humans as well!
- Weight Management: With obesity being a recognized problem with many domesticated dogs, ensuring your furry friend stays within a healthy weight range is very important. Fiber is a great addition to your dog’s diet as it takes up room in their stomach and isn't digested, meaning it stays in their system for longer periods. This ensures they won't feel hungry, allowing them to feel full without adding calories.
- Reduce the chance of diabetes: Fiber is suggested to be consumed by humans that are at a high risk of developing diabetes, and the same approach applies to dogs. As diabetes causes the malfunctioning of the pancreas, this means that insufficient amounts of insulin are created by the body. Insulin regulates blood sugar levels and, when there isn't enough, blood sugar levels don't act as they should. Fiber can keep blood sugar levels where they should be by slowing down the rate that sugar is absorbed by a dog's body. Some studies have shown that if a dog consumes regular amounts of fiber, their susceptibility to diabetes can decrease quite a lot.
- Alleviate clogged anal glands: It isn’t the most appealing topic, but fiber can help with your dog’s anal glands. Small dogs especially can be affected by blocked anal glands, however, fiber can assist by changing your dog’s stool. As fiber changes the consistency of stools to firm and bulky, this assists with allowing the release of the anal glands naturally due to pressure caused when they go to the bathroom. Clogged anal glands can cause your canine friend a lot of discomfort, so helping with this is a huge benefit!
Best Sources (Ingredients) for Fiber
- Carrots: A common choice when it comes to ingredients full of fiber is carrots – not only are they a high fiber and low-calorie vegetable, they are also packed with vitamins K, A, and B6 (which help with eyesight). They are a great choice as they offer more than just fiber, including positively benefiting heart health and helping with digestive issues.
- Apples: Apples are another low calorie, high fiber option for your furry friend. They are full of vitamins and have great overall health benefits for all types of dog breeds. Always remember to remove the core though, as apple seeds in large amounts can be quite toxic to dogs!
- Flaxseed: When you see flaxseed as an addition in dog food, it is usually milled (not whole). This is because when it is whole, its' tough outer shell makes its fiber insoluble. Once it is milled, and the outer shell is removed, it becomes soluble dietary fiber. Flaxseed joins with different things, such as fat, cholesterol, and bile, which ensures your dog's digestive system stays in top condition and they have continuing digestive health.
- Pumpkin: Another vegetable choice is some canned or steamed pumpkin – pumpkin isn’t just high in fiber, it is also low in calories and high in potassium. And, if you choose the canned variety, there is also an added level of ease when adding it to your dog’s daily meal.
There are also oats, psyllium husk, barley, peaches, tomatoes… the list goes on!
How much Fiber is Considered “High Fiber”?
Generally, dog food has a fiber content of 1-10%, with anything above the 5% level being considered high fiber. If food has over 10% fiber content, this can negatively affect stool volume and firmness, which is not beneficial.
Overall Best High Fiber Dog Food
|Our 2020 Picks: Dog Foods that are Higher in Fiber|
|Taste Of The Wild Pine Forest Grain-Free
|American Journey Healthy Weight Chicken & Sweet Potato
|FirstMate Endurance/Puppy Pacific Ocean Fish Meal Formula
|Solid Gold Fit & Fabulous Low Fat/Low Calorie
|Wellness CORE Grain-Free Reduced Fat Turkey
|Instinct By Nature’s Variety Raw Boost Healthy Weight
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe
- First Five Ingredients: Venison, Lamb Meal, Garbanzo Beans, Peas, Lentils
- Caloric Content: 3,600 kcal/kg, 337 kcal/cup
- Crude Fiber Content: 5.5%
- Feeding Instructions: Starting at ¾ cup a day for 3-5lb puppies at 6-12 weeks old, up to 7 ¾ cups a day for adult dogs around 125-150lbs
- Suitable for most breed sizes
- Natural recipe
- Suitable for sensitive digestion
- Made in the USA
When it comes to the overall best high fiber dog food available, we definitely recommend Taste of the Wild Pine Forest Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. It comes in 5lb, 14lb, and 28lb bags, allowing you to try a smaller option to see if it is suited to your dog before buying a bigger bag, and is a natural recipe full of great, beneficial ingredients. This mix contains novel proteins such as venison, as well as nutrient-rich legumes such as peas and garbanzo beans for highly digestible energy.
Taste of the Wild Pine Forest Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is suitable for most types of breed size, from small to large, and is a good choice for those looking for a food that provides beneficial ingredients and nutrients to your dog’s diet. It contains dried chicory root which offers prebiotic support and ensures healthy digestion, as well as real fruits and vegetables which provide positive overall health and wellbeing. Another unique aspect is that this recipe is made with a proprietary K9 strain probiotic blend which offers great levels of support to your furry friend’s digestive health. This blend does not contain wheat, corn, filler or grains, nor does it have any artificial flavors, colors or preservatives, which makes it a great option for dogs with sensitive stomachs… and it is made in the USA!
- Contains novel proteins such as venison
- Highly digestible recipe
- Contains real fruits and vegetables
- Made with ingredients from trusted and sustainable sources
- Comes in a variety of bag sizes
- Smells very strong
- First Five Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Peas
- Caloric Content: 3,212 kcal/kg, 337 kcal/cup ME
- Crude Fiber Content: 10% max.
- Feeding Instructions: Starting at ½ cup a day for 3lb dogs to 5 ¾ cups a day for 100lb dogs
- Reduced calorie kibble
- Natural sources of fiber
- Nutrient-dense ingredients such as mineral-rich kelp, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas
- Affordable price
Best Affordable High Fiber Dog Food – If you are searching for a high fiber dog food that is at an affordable price point, the American Journey Healthy Weight Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is a great option. Full of sweet potatoes, kelp, and chickpeas for lots of nutrients and chicken for good protein, this blend offers small, medium and large breeds a healthy meal choice that isn’t super expensive.
There are heaps of other benefits offered by this mix, such as L-carnitine to support regular levels of fat metabolism and lean muscle mass and natural sources of fiber to ensure your canine stays fuller for longer… all which helps with maintaining an active lifestyle. There is also glucosamine and chondroitin for good joint health and overall mobility, as well as heaps of vitamins and minerals for overall health and wellbeing. Finally, there isn’t any corn, wheat or soy in this American Journey dry dog food, nor any artificial preservatives, colors or flavors. Sounds like a great choice to us.
- Reduced calorie food to assist with weight management
- Gluten-free and without corn, wheat or soy
- Contains L-carnitine to help with normal fat metabolism and lean muscle mass
- No artificial preservatives, colors or flavors
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin for great joint health and mobility
- May not be the best choice for picky dogs
5 More Top Rated Dog Foods that are Higher in Fiber
FirstMate Endurance/Puppy Pacific Ocean Fish Meal Formula Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
If you need a high fiber puppy food, look out for FirstMate Endurance/Puppy Pacific Ocean Fish Meal Formula Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. With 8% max crude fiber, this mix uses only a single, novel protein (wild fish from the herring family) to provide heaps of benefits to your puppy as they are growing. It is quite expensive though, which isn’t suited to everyone’s budgets and the kibble size can be a little big for some puppies. Overall though, it is a good choice for high fiber puppy food.
Solid Gold Fit & Fabulous Low Fat/Low Calorie with Fresh Caught Alaskan Pollock Adult Dry Dog Food is created specifically for weight control, meaning it is both low fat and low calorie. That does not mean it isn't super delicious and nutritious though, with fresh-caught Alaskan Pollock and 20 superfoods making up a beneficial mix of awesome ingredients. With 9% max crude protein, it offers high levels of fiber without the extra calories but can cause some skin allergies if your dog is prone to them. Don’t let this overshadow all the advantages though, and the packaging is super cool too!
Another reduced-fat option is the Wellness CORE Grain-Free Reduced Fat Turkey & Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food. This blend comes in a variety of sizes, offering the option to let your dog try a smaller bag before buying the bigger option, as well as being gluten-free and free of corn, wheat, and soy. It contains taurine for a healthy heart, deboned turkey and turkey meal for protein and a great taste, and vegetables such as spinach, carrots, kale and broccoli for added overall health benefits. This food may give your dog gas though and, if your dog is super picky, this may not be the best choice. A good high fiber option though for small, medium and large breed sizes.
Instinct by Nature's Variety Raw Boost Healthy Weight Grain-Free Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food is one of the better weight control, high fiber dry dog foods available. This mix is full of cage-free chicken, for animal protein, as well as L-carnitine to support a healthy metabolism and perfect levels of fiber so your canine friend stays fuller for longer. There isn't any soy, corn, wheat or potato, nor are there any grains, artificial colors or flavors.
Last, but certainly not least, is the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. This option is unique in that is has been created to mirror the diet of ancestral wolves, with high levels of protein and 6% max crude protein levels. With deboned chicken and chicken meal as the first two ingredients, as well as sweet potato, peas, and potatoes for healthy complex carbohydrates, there is a great balance of ingredients that offer benefits to your furry friend.
- Does my dog need more fiber? – Although a traditional ‘wild’ canine diet contains very little fiber in it, as a dog does not have any physiologic need for it, it has been shown that dogs who eat processed dog foods that contain fiber do benefit from it. It assists with digestion and some fibers contain vitamins and minerals, which offer great benefits all-round.
- Are carrots good fiber for dogs? – Yes, they are! Carrots are a low calorie, high-fiber snack for your dog. They also contain antioxidants and vitamin A, which are great for maintaining overall health and wellbeing.
- Is potato high in fiber? – It depends on the potato you are referring to, as sweet potatoes are great sources of fiber however other types of potatoes don’t offer the same fiber levels. Additionally, there have been warnings from the FDA regarding possible connections between food containing potatoes and canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM), therefore potatoes may not be an appropriate addition to a dog’s diet. And never feed your dog raw potatoes!
In conclusion, it is clear to see that fiber is a great addition to your furry best friends diet in more ways than one. There are heaps of dog food options around which allow you to integrate fiber into meal-times in a variety of ways, no matter the breed size. Additionally, there is a food option to meet almost every budget, without sacrificing quality. From Taste of the Wild Pine Forest Grain-Free Dry Dog Food to American Journey Healthy Weight Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food and everything in between, every canine is catered for.
Remember, if you are unsure as to whether a high fiber diet is suitable for your dog, take this list of choices to your local veterinarian and discuss the options available. They will be able to advise you on the best actions for your dog and put your mind at ease. We know that your dog is a super important addition to your family, so they should get great food too!