In this article you will find:
- Meet Gentle Giant Dog Food
- What are the Best Gentle Giant Dog Food Recipes?
- Behind the Brand
- Gentle Giant Recall History List:
- Gentle Giant Dog Food Coupons 2020
- Best Gentle Giant Dog Food Recipes
- Customer Reviews
- Gentle Giant Chicken Kibble
Meet Gentle Giant Dog Food
Gentle Giant is an independent company created by a man named Bob Ward who was seeking a better way to feed dogs and mainly a way to increase the lifespan of large breed dogs. Large breeds often have a heartbreakingly short life span, which can often reach just six to eight years.
Gentle Giant uses formulas created by veterinarians and nutritionists developed for years before the food was widely available for commercial distribution. It’s lower fat and better balanced with carbohydrates to help control weight and improve your dog’s overall health.
Can Gentle Giants improve your dog’s health that much? Let’s break down the formula and the philosophy of Gentle Giant to see if it’s your next dog food.
What are the Best Gentle Giant Dog Food Recipes?
Brand Quick Look
- Parent Company : Gentle Giant, Inc.
- Founded in : 2008
- Made in : USA
- Available at : Chewy, Amazon, Walmart
- Types of Food : Wet, dry
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : No
- Recalled in Past? : No
Behind the Brand
Gentle Giants got started with a family who created and refined dog foods to help prolong healthy life for their dogs. After many years of perfecting the recipe, the food was finally released to the general public first in California and then the rest of the country.
It uses no artificial colors or flavors, no cheap fillers such as corn or soy, and a lower amount of fat than some other commercial dog foods. The company has a few tips they believe owners should follow including feeding dogs lower amounts of protein and fat and increasing the amount of Gentle Giants food gradually until dogs walk away themselves, teaching them to self-regulate.
What Types of Dog Foods Does Gentle Giant Offer?
Gentle Giant makes simple formulas that use named meat meals and a blend of lower fat ingredients to help balance canine nutrition and prevent blood sugar spikes. There are no artificial ingredients such as flavors or colors that can encourage dogs to overeat. Sources of complex carbohydrates are easily digestible, and whole fruits and veggies provide vital minerals and vitamins.
Everything in the formula is non-GMO and sourced from responsible providers. It has a lower fat and protein content than other types of dog foods because the owners believe that many dogs are fed too much protein and fat causing weight gain and possible heart issues.
One good thing about most of their recipes is that they don’t use any type of legumes, peas, or potatoes for carbohydrate sources. These ingredients can possibly cause an enlarged heart in some dogs although researchers aren’t sure yet of the exact link.
Foods come in wet and dry versions, and each one has straightforward ingredients. Dry kibbles are formulated to be more densely nutritious, so you don’t have to feed as much, and the wet foods are great for adding more taste and nutrition to kibbles. They are formulated for all life stages and breed sizes.
Gentle Giant Recall History List:
- Gentle Giant has no recalls, which is excellent for a company that’s been in business for more than ten years. They’ve got very safe standards and use processing plants that are up to the rigorous conditions they used for years making their own foods in test kitchens before release.
Gentle Giant Dog Food Coupons 2020
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Best Gentle Giant Dog Food Recipes
There aren’t many choices here, but we do have a few favorites that you might want to try. The formulas are safe for all life stages and breed sizes, so you can feed Gentle Giant from the beginning for lifelong health.
The Chicken recipe uses meal from farm-raised chickens for a dense source of protein and a natural source of glucosamine. It has a total of twelve whole fruits and vegetables for vitamins and minerals to support strong bones and a healthy immune system. Both pre and probiotics support the immune system, and it’s balanced for all breeds, sizes, and life stages.
The wet food option is a blend of chicken, chickpeas, and sweet potato for a complete and balanced protein and carbohydrate combination that aids in digestion and supports optimal health. It uses only protein from farm-raised, natural chickens with added antioxidant and pre and probiotics. It includes omega fatty acids for skin and coat health and New Zealand green mussels for natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin.
The Beef option uses all-natural beef raised with no hormones plus non-GMO fruits and vegetables for a complete source of nutrition right from the beginning. It’s rich and should satisfy even picky dogs’ taste buds. It uses green-lipped mussels for natural sources of omega fatty acids and glucosamine for excellent skin, coat, and joint health. It contains no fillers or cheap calories and is great alone or as a kibble addition.
Customers appreciate how it seems to have rejuvenated their middle-aged and senior dogs as well as helping to regulate their weights. Although many people expressed concern at first that it was labeled for all sizes and life stages, quite a few were ultimately won over by the results.
Overall, across Chewy and Amazon, Gentle Giant has an average rating of about four out of five stars consistently across all recipes. It has plenty of fans of all the different offerings, and many customers wish there were more recipes.
What do people like and dislike about Gentle Giant dog food?
Many customers saw improvements in the overall stiffness and pain levels of older dogs. They were pleased with the way dogs seemed at a healthier weight after a regimen of Gentle Giant. Most dogs also like the taste and seem to thrive on the foods. Customers also liked that it was an affordable option for many higher end foods with hefty price tags.
Some complaints tended to be about picky dogs not liking the taste and that there were only two basic recipes of kibble, chicken, and salmon. If your dog doesn’t like either of these flavors, there isn’t much room to find something that it will eat. However, because many dogs also loved the canned recipes, you may be able to mix the two.
- “I highly recommend this food. I have 3 dogs. One of which has reoccurring pancreatitis, the other has skin issues, allergic to lots of the other foods out there and one that if he eats anything else other than this food he gets really gassy. I swear by this food. I’m not a fan of foods labeled for all breeds, all ages, all sizes but I love this food for my dogs. All their problems seemed to have resolved with this food. I have a cairns terrier, schnauzer mix and a Great Dane and it’s awesome to be able to purchase same food for all. My schnauzer mix I could never get to eat until I purchased this food. Some people swear by not feeding dogs the same thing all their life but this is different. I noticed they even have it in canned food so if my dog were to ever get picky and sick, we could try the canned food!!!” TDT8, chewy.com
- “we have a bloodhound who has skin issues and when we switched her to this food she stopped chewing herself…she also was able to finally put on the weight she needed. we also feed this to a pitbull and a ferel dog as well as 5 older japanese chins and there is not one that wont eat this food. The coat and skin has improved and they all eat well! I was also shocked when i placed the order how fast it arrived….great company” Rhonda, chewy.com
- “If it were possible to give less than 1 star I would. This food just sat in the bowls untouched for 2 days until I had to add a warm slurry just to get them to eat it. This has happened over and over. It seemed a great premise for my gentle giants, but the flavor must be lacking for both breeds. My money should have been refunded from the manufacturer because something is just not right for with the food. It even smells bland.” Jess, chewy.com
- “I wanted to try this as it has great reviews. Unfortunately, my dogs hate the taste. Going to look to see if there is a money back guarantee.” Susan, chewy.com
Dog Food Review
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
First 5 Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Dried Plain Beet Pulp
The Chicken kibble recipe is a holistic approach to dog food without using so much fat. It features whole, balanced carbohydrates with a low glycemic index and contains many fruits and vegetables to provide critical vitamins and minerals for a healthy immune system. The recipe uses a reduced amount of fat and a lower amount of overall protein than many commercial dog food recipes because this may make the food more comfortable for your dog to digest and cause fewer issues with weight fluctuation.
It’s best to transition dogs to this formula slowly because they may need to get used to the taste. There are only two flavors available, but if your dog isn’t a huge fan of either, there are four different flavors of pate you can use to spice things up a little bit. It’s a nice recipe that uses no artificial flavors or colors that could encourage dogs to overeat. The recipe is formulated to teach dogs how to self-regulate.
There are no other cheap fillers such as corn or soy and no grains that could affect your dog’s digestion. The minerals are chelated to provide better absorption as well. Natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin keep joints healthy and lubricate the connective tissues.
It does use peas, but this ingredient is very far down on the list so it may not pose as much of a threat to your dog’s heart as a grain free food that uses peas in the first three or so ingredients. You should still discuss it with your veterinarian, but this should be less of a risk.
Overall, it’s a well-made food with plenty of nutrition for your dog. While we aren’t sure that it can double your dog’s lifespan, we do think this is an above average food and can offer your dog plenty of dense nutrition for a lifetime of good health.