In this article you will find:
- Overall Best Dog Foods for French Bulldogs
- What Is The Best Dog Food For French Bulldogs?
- 5 More Top Rated French Bulldog Foods
- 6. VICTOR Yukon River Salmon & Sweet Potato Grain-Free Dog Food
- 7. Wellness CORE Grain-Free Reduce Fat Turkey & Chicken Recipe
- 8. Merrick Grain-Free Real Texas Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe
- 9. Instinct by Nature’s Variety Raw Boost Grain-Free Recipe
- 10. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dog Food
- 6 Special Dietary and Nutritional Considerations of French Bulldogs
- 5 Key Nutritional Needs of a French Bulldog Puppy
- French Bulldog Puppy Feeding Chart
- Our 2020 French Bulldog Feeding Guide
- Do French Bulldogs need special food?
- How often should I feed my French Bulldog puppy?
- How much food should I feed my French Bulldog?
- Should my French Bulldog eat a grain free diet?
The Frenchie is a low-maintenance breed when it comes to grooming and exercise requirements. Like any dog, however, French Bulldogs needs a high-quality and balanced diet to maintain a healthy body weight and to reduce his risk for certain health concerns like obesity, skeletal issues, and breathing problems.
- Grain-free recipe
- Nutrient-rich and highly digestible recipe
- Each recipe is vet-formulated
- Met AAFCO nutritional standards
- Made from fresh, natural ingredients
To keep your dog happy and healthy, it's important that you feed them a well-balanced diet suited to their needs. As French Bulldogs are unfortunately prone to numerous health complications later in life, a hearty meal routine is a priority for this breed.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the nutritional needs of French Bulldogs and provide tips for choosing the best dog food for your Frenchie. You’ll also see our picks for the 10 best foods for French Bulldogs.
Overall Best Dog Foods for French Bulldogs
Ollie Fresh Pet Food
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
American Journey Lamb & Sweet Potato
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
True Acre Foods Chicken & Vegetable Recipe
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
CANIDAE PURE Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
VICTOR Yukon River Salmon & Sweet Potato
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Wellness CORE Reduced Fat Turkey & Chicken Recipe
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Merrick Grain-Free Texas Beef & Sweet Potato
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Instinct By Nature’s Variety Raw Boost Recipe
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
What Is The Best Dog Food For French Bulldogs?
- Ollie Fresh Pet Food Delivery
- Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley Formula
- American Journey Lamb & Sweet Potato Recipe
- True Acre Foods Chicken & Vegetable Recipe
- CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe
- VICTOR Yukon River Salmon & Sweet Potato Dog Food
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Reduce Fat Turkey & Chicken Recipe
- Merrick Grain-Free Real Texas Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe
- Instinct by Nature’s Variety Raw Boost Grain-Free Recipe
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe
1. Ollie Fresh Pet Food
- Fresh dog food delivered to your door
- Specifically targets skin, eye and heart health
- Made with human-grade ingredients
- No fillers or artificial flavors
Overall Best French Bulldog Food – Ollie is human-grade dog food delivered right to your door step. This super premium food is our top choice for French Bulldogs because it’s formulated to specifically target skin, eye and hearth health.
The beef recipe contains helpful ingredients that offer nutritional benefits. Sweet potatoes are high in essential nutrients and dietary fiber, while peas are a good source of lutein. And rosemary naturally supports your Frenchie’s immune system.
Ollie is a fresh, minimally processed dog food. Ingredients are gently cooked to preserve flavor and nutrients. For French Bulldogs with sensitive stomachs, Ollie doesn’t contain any soy, corn or wheat. Although humans could enjoy this food with a fork, we recommend saving this exceptional delicacy for your pampered pooch!
- Fresh, human-grade dog food delivered to your door
- Ingredients support skin, eye and heart health
- No fillers like soy, corn or wheat
- Customizable meal plans
- Each order comes with a customized feeding guide
- This type of food will not scrape plaque and tartar off teeth like kibble will
- Requires a freezer, and may take up a good chunk of space
2. Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley Formula
- Grain-free recipe
- Highly digestible
- Contains additional vitamins and antioxidants
- Real buffalo is the first ingredient
Most Popular Dog Food for Frenchies – Taste of the Wild is an extremely popular food among dog parents. This balanced diet is made with novel proteins, such as venison and lamb, to give your French Bulldog the flavor and nutrition he craves.
This grain-free recipe contains peas and sweet potatoes to promote an active lifestyle, as well as natural antioxidants from additional fruits and veggies. Plus dried chicory root offers prebiotic support and regular digestion, so you can keep your Frenchie’s farting to a minimum!
Taste of the Wild is nutrient-rich and highly digestible. This recipe is made with a K9 strain probiotic blend to help support your French Bulldog’s digestive health.
The ingredients come from trusted, sustainable sources with no grain, corn, wheat, fillers or artificial flavors. This quality dog food is made in the USA by a family owned company using the most advanced food safety protocols.
- Three bag sizes available
- Grain-free recipe with buffalo as the first ingredient
- Made in the USA
- Contains additional antioxidants, vitamins and omega fatty acids
- Superfood ingredients offer immune boosting properties
- This dog food is on the expensive side
3. American Journey Lamb & Sweet Potato Recipe (Puppy)
- Made to fit nutritional needs of growing puppies
- Contains DHA to promote development of the brain and eyes
- Good for Frenchies with sensitivities
- Deboned lamb is the first ingredient
Best Food for French Bulldog Puppy – Your developing French Bulldog puppy needs a nutritious food that will promote overall health as they continue to grow. This American Journey puppy food is formulated with all of your furry friend’s needs in mind. Deboned lamb and amino acids support the healthy growth of lean muscle mass, while sweet potatoes and chickpeas provide energy for your active puppy.
Omega fatty acids are plentiful in this food, and they come from several sources like salmon oil and flaxseed. These omegas help keep your French Bulldog’s skin and coat healthy. This recipe is grain-free and has no corn, wheat or soy, which makes it a great choice for puppies that are prone to food sensitivities.
- Contains fiber-rich chickpeas and sweet potatoes for all of that puppy energy
- Crafted with fruits and vegetables like blueberries, carrots and dried kelp to provide vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
- Promote brain and eye development
- Great for puppies with sensitive digestion
- This puppy food is more expensive than some of the other options
4. True Acre Foods Chicken & Vegetable Recipe Grain-Free Dog Food
- First ingredient is USA-raised chicken
- Natural fibers promote digestion
- Free of any grains, wheat, corn or artificial colors or flavors
Most Inexpensive Food for French Bulldogs – Pour some grain-free goodness into your Frenchie’s bowl with this kibble from True Acre Foods. Chicken is the #1 ingredient, and it’s raised in the USA. This complete and balanced diet also contains a blend of farm-grown veggies to deliver flavor and nutrition in every bite. If your French Bulldog has a sensitive tummy or allergies, this food is grain-free and doesn’t contain any corn or artificial flavors.
True Acre Foods grain-free dog food is an exceptional choice for your Frenchie because it promotes gentle digestion and promotes healthy skin and coat by way of omega fatty acids. It’s crafted with delicious fruits and veggies, and natural antioxidants to boost your pup’s immune system. For a high-quality dog food at an affordable price, we highly recommend True Acre Foods!
- Cost-effective yet high-quality
- Crafted with USA-raised chicken and farm-grown vegetables
- Natural fibers promote gentle digestion
- Doesn’t contain any grains, wheat or corn
- Only available in two grain-free protein choices
5. CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe
- Made with 8 simple ingredients
- Free of glutens, wheat, grain and soy
- Salmon is the first ingredient
- Crafted with whole foods to support gentle digestion
Best Sensitive Stomach Food for French Bulldogs – Keep meal time simple yet delicious with this limited ingredient dog food from CANIDAE. This food is a wonderful option for your French Bulldog if they battle allergies or a sensitive stomach. Made with just 8 ingredients, this dog kibble still contains all of the nutrition, vitamins and minerals that your Frenchie needs to thrive. Even if your pup doesn’t have delicate digestion or food sensitivities, they will absolutely love the taste of this formula.
French Bulldogs have several health considerations to account for, and this limited ingredient food for sensitive stomachs will provide optimal nutrition for your pup’s overall wellbeing. With 8 key ingredients and salmon as the first ingredient, you can rest easy knowing exactly what your Frenchie is devouring at meal time.
- Formulated with just 8 ingredients
- Doesn’t contain any gluten, wheat, grain or soy
- Supports healthy digestion
- Contains a blend of probiotic mix, vitamins and minerals
- A premium food for dogs with allergies
- This is definitely an expensive dog food, but you are paying for simplicity and quality.
5 More Top Rated French Bulldog Foods
6. VICTOR Yukon River Salmon & Sweet Potato Grain-Free Dog Food
Offer your French Bulldog the nutrition he needs with the taste he loves by pouring him a bowlful of VICTOR Select Grain Free Yukon River Canine Recipe!
This dry dog food recipe is crafted in the USA with premium-quality, fish-based protein sources such as menhaden fish meal and dehydrated salmon.
It’s also completely free of common food allergens like grains, which means it’s especially great for Frenchies with sensitivities or allergies. VICTOR also contains selenium yeast, pre and probiotics and mineral complexes to promote your pup’s overall health.
7. Wellness CORE Grain-Free Reduce Fat Turkey & Chicken Recipe
French Bulldogs are prone to obesity, especially as they reach their golden years. Wellness CORE Grain-Free Reduced Fat Formula Dry Dog Food has 25% less fat than the original formula and a great turkey taste sure to satisfy even your Frenchie’s hearty appetite.
Gluten-free ingredients help maintain a proper weight in a kibble that guarantees big taste without any fillers, and taurine supports heart health.
This food is a good option for lazy French Bulldogs, injured pups who aren’t getting much exercise, or senior dogs who are slowing down.
8. Merrick Grain-Free Real Texas Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe
This Merrick dry dog food combines allergy-friendly nutrition with a grain-free recipe that features real, deboned beef, along with sweet potatoes, peas, apples, blueberries and more.
Formulated with vitamins and minerals for complete and balanced nutrition, it also contains high levels of Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids for healthy skin and a shiny coat.
For French Bulldogs who may have hip dysplasia, glucosamine and chondroitin help aid healthy hip and joint function.
This quality dog food is proudly made in Merrick’s Texas facility using the world’s best locally-sourced ingredients from farmers they know and trust.
9. Instinct by Nature’s Variety Raw Boost Grain-Free Recipe
Instinct by Nature's Variety Raw Boost Grain-Free Recipe is made with delicious animal protein, and offers boosted nutrition featuring bites of freeze-dried raw meat throughout.
Carefully crafted to unlock your Frenchie’s potential, and put the benefits of raw nutrition into every bowl, it’s made with cage-free chicken as the first ingredient for strong, lean muscles.
It also includes a probiotic boost for digestive health, higher levels of omegas for healthy skin and coat, plus more antioxidants for immune health.
Instinct by Nature’s Variety Never contains any grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by-product meal, artificial colors or preservatives. Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world.
10. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is formulated with tons of protein, just the right amount of carbohydrates, and plenty of antioxidant-rich fruit.
It includes exclusive BLUE LifeSource Bits — a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals — to support immune system health, life stage requirements and healthy oxidative balance.
This powerful recipe is specially crafted to support your French Bulldog’s overall health and well-being. This delicious dog food contains Calcium, phosphorus and essential vitamins help promote strong bones and teeth, glucosamine helps support joint function and overall mobility and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids helps promote a shiny coat and healthy skin.
6 Special Dietary and Nutritional Considerations of French Bulldogs
French Bulldogs require approximately 500 to 780 calories per day, although your pup’s calorie needs will depend on their age, size, and activity levels. This breed doesn’t need as much food or as much protein as high-performance dogs, but a healthy blend of high-quality meat ingredients should be the cornerstone of a French Bulldogs diet.
AAFCO recommends a minimum of 18% protein with the digestibility of that protein estimated to be near 100%. To ensure that your French Bulldog is getting highly-digestible protein, look for foods made with named meats and meat meals and minimal high-protein plant ingredients.
Unfortunately French Bulldogs are known for having a slew of health problems, but many of them can be potentially reduced and/or avoided with a good diet.
Here are some health concerns to take into consideration when choosing a food for your Frenchie:
- Hip dysplasia: While hip dysplasia is a hereditary condition, you can help to ensure healthy development by feeding your Frenchie a proper food during puppyhood. A calorie-limited diet promotes balanced growth – if your dog grows too quickly, it can place too much weight on their developing joints. You’ll also want to look for a puppy food made with the appropriate balance of calcium and phosphorus.
- Obesity: The French Bulldog is extremely prone to obesity. Excess weight on the skeletal structure can exacerbate any other health problem. It’s crucial that you feed your Frenchie a proper diet on a schedule to prevent obesity.
- Flatulence: Nobody is comfortable talking about flatulence, but any Bulldog parent knows that this breed is known for letting go of some rancid gas. Frenchies tend to gulp or gobble their food down rather than chewing it effectively. In the process, they often swallow plenty of air, hence the gassiness. To avoid excess farting, choose foods that don’t contain fillers and common irritants like corn, wheat, and soy. Keeping your Frenchie in shape can also help reduce flatulence.
- Skin problems: Allergic skin disease is also a huge problem among French Bulldogs, who commonly suffer from food and environmental allergies. Skin allergies cause serious inflammation and can lead to hair loss, hives, swollen glands, and infections of the skin and ears. Minimally processed foods supplemented with probiotics and prebiotics can help to keep your dog’s immune system in great shape. It’s also a good idea to avoid low-value ingredients and fillers. If your dog suffers from food sensitivities or food allergies, avoid common allergens and try a limited ingredient french bulldog diet.
- Respiratory issues: Most French Bulldogs suffer from some form of Brachycephalic Airway Obstruction Syndrome (BAOS). It is characterized by greatly shortened upper jaws and noses, but the soft tissues of the nose and throat remain unchanged, thus these tissues are squeezed into a substantially smaller space. This leads to narrowing and increased resistance in the upper respiratory tract. Feeding your French Bulldog a properly sized kibble will help them breathe regularly when eating.
French Bulldogs grow to around 30 inches tall and should weigh up to 28lbs. They are small to medium-sized dogs with short, smooth coats and a solid, muscular body that looks particularly compact.
French Bulldogs have an average lifespan on 10 to 12 years, though they can live longer – this is dependent on the debilitating health issues that the breed is likely to develop later in life.
5 Key Nutritional Needs of a French Bulldog Puppy
Young Frenchies have high caloric and nutrient needs. French Bulldogs aged anywhere from 8-12 weeks of age need a total of 1.5 cups of puppy food per day. This must be spread out into 3 meals equaling 1/2 cup each. Spreading the meals out will maintain a healthy amount of energy and nutrients in your puppy’s belly.
French Bulldog puppies are some of the most adorable beings with the funniest personalities. They are incredibly hyperactive but gentle. This breed also loves to spend their time snoozing, so it’s a good thing to keep them active and provide a clean french bulldog diet so they don’t become overweight.
Below are some nutritional needs to consider when creating a feeding routine for your French Bulldog puppy:
- Your puppy needs a food with high caloric intake to promote healthy growth. A high calorie puppy food also supports your Frenchie’s high energy needs. A food formulated specifically for puppies will be made with the proper calorie amount for your growing furry friend.
- Nutritional value is everything when establishing a meal routine for your puppy. You’ll want a food that is made with wholesome, hearty ingredients with no fillers or artificial preservatives.
- Frenchie puppies should be fed a few small meals per day. This process will minimize the peaks of energy your French Bulldog will experience due to dramatic rises and decreases in blood sugar levels between meals.
- A good puppy food for your French Bulldog will be formulated with DHA for healthy brain and eye development.
- A puppy’s immune system is building as they grow, so a food made with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants is helpful.
When determining what amount to feed your Frenchie puppy, we suggest you follow the portion guide on the food brand package, which usually offers guidance based on your dog’s age and weight.
If you feel like your puppy isn’t eating enough or is gaining weight too rapidly, talk with your vet about altering how much you are feeding them. You may also need to switch to a different brand of food.
French Bulldog Puppy Feeding Chart
Before discussing the French Bulldog feeding guidelines, you might want the quick answer to how many cups of food to feed your French Bulldog. As a general rule of thumb, you should feed a French Bulldog puppy aged 8 to 12 weeks around 1 and a half cups of food a day, in 3 separate meals.
It can usually take about 2 to 3 weeks for a French Bulldog puppy to be weaned off of their mother’s milk and adjust to dry and/or wet food. It’s important to keep in mind that your puppy may be a little stubborn about eating dry and wet food if they were only just recently weaned.
- 8 week old French Bulldog: Your Frenchie should now be completely weaned from their mother, and the transition to dry food should be taking place. Your puppy should be eating about 1.5 cups of food per day.
- 12 week old French Bulldog: The dry food your Frenchie is eating should be high in calories since they need extra nutrients that they are no longer getting from their mother. The amount of food should remain around 1.5 cups a day.
- 3 month old French Bulldog: It’s time to start feeding your Frenchie based on their weight. The general rule of thumb is that for every pound, your French Bulldog should be fed between 25 and 30 calories.
- 6 months: Your Frenchie should now be used to their normal eating routine. It’s important that you are measuring their food based on weight and activity level.
- 1 year: Your French Bulldog is now full grown. They probably weight anywhere between 20 and 25lbs. They can be eating around 2 cups of food a day if they are sitting at a proper weight.
Our 2020 French Bulldog Feeding Guide
Protein provides your Frenchie with the building blocks for healthy muscle and lean mass. It should come from high-quality animal sources like poultry, meat, and fish. Fat provides a concentrated source of energy in the form of calories as well as omega fatty acids for skin and coat support. It too should come from animal sources to ensure digestibility.
According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, adult dogs require a minimum of 18% protein and 5% fat in their diet. These needs are higher for growing Frenchie puppies, but protein remains the most important nutrient, followed by healthy fats and essential vitamins and minerals. Here are some basic guidelines for feeding your French Bulldog:
- Puppy Diet: Your French Bulldog puppy should be eating 3-4 times a day. Each meal should equate to about ½ cup each. Your Frenchie needs a specific puppy food to promote overall healthy growth of the brain, eyes, bones and joints without becoming overweight.
- Adult Diet: French Bulldogs are highly food motivated and they will overeat if given the opportunity. Your adult Frenchie needs to stick to a meal routine. A typical, average weight French Bulldog will need to eat about 550-600 calories per day. If your pup is highly active, they will need to consume about 750-825 calories per day.
- Senior Diet: Senior Frenchies need to eat a little less food than an active adult. Feed your older pup roughly 20-25 calories per pound (if they’re within the nominal weight range or below) and if they leave food in the bowl, it’s okay to let them snack on it midday or so. You can’t go wrong with 1-1.5 cups in the morning and 1-1.5 cups at night.
If your French Bulldog looks thinner than usual, you can add 5 calories of food per pound of weight until you find a magic number. Every French Bulldog is different, and our suggestions are based on average weights.
French Bulldogs are sturdy dogs that make excellent family companions. The breed is incredibly affectionate and gentle, making them an extremely popular small dog, especially among city dwellers.
While Frenchies are alert, playful and adorable, they do have several health considerations to take into account when starting them on a plentiful diet.
Since French Bulldogs are prone to obesity and other problems with their small skeletal structure, a great food is imperative to getting your pup started on a healthy life journey. Remember to always consult your veterinarian if you have specific questions and concerns regarding your French Bulldog.
Do French Bulldogs need special food?
French Bulldogs need a quality food that has just the right amount of fat and carbohydrates. Fillers and grains are good to avoid, as Frenchies tend to have allergies and sensitive skin. The food should also contain a premium protein source in order to maintain a healthy weight and muscle mass.
How often should I feed my French Bulldog puppy?
You should feed your French Bulldog puppy 3-4 times a day. They need to be fed frequently on a consistent routine. Avoid free-feeding your Frenchie puppy at all costs because they will overeat if given the chance. Each serving of your puppy’s food should be about ½ cup.
How much food should I feed my French Bulldog?
Ideally, an adult French Bulldog should be consuming 25-30 calories per every pound of their weight. Extremely active Frenchies will need more calories, and seniors will need a little bit less. Ultimately how much your feed your French Bulldog depends on their age, current weight and activity level. An adult at a healthy weight and average activity level will eat around 2 cups of food per day.
Should my French Bulldog eat a grain free diet?
In many cases a grain-free diet is best for French Bulldogs. Ingredients such as wheat can exacerbate flatulence and GI issues. Frenchies are prone to allergies, so corn and soy are also good to avoid. A grain-free diet can potentially minimize a slew of health concerns your Frenchie is battling.