In this article you will find:
- Meet Dogswell and Nutrisca Dog Food
- What are the Best Dogswell and Nutrisca Dog Food Recipes?
- Brand Quick Look
- Behind the Brand
- Dogswell Recall History List:
- Dogswell Dog Food Coupons 2020
- Best Dogswell Dog Food Recipes
- Dogswell Happy Hips Chicken and Oats
- Customer Reviews
- Dogswell Food; Let Your Pup Decide
Meet Dogswell and Nutrisca Dog Food
Dogswell is a mid-range priced dog food brand that offers dry and wet food plus treats. The company gears its food towards a specific issue your pup may be dealing with. They have specific foods meant to cater to hip and joint health, immunity health, and skin and coat.
Arthur Dogswell LLC previously owned the company, and they always had a solid reputation online. In 2017 they experienced a buyout by Whitebridge Pet Brands who now manufactures the food.
In this article, we’re taking an in-depth look into the Dogswell dog food brand to try and understand more about whether this would be a good food to feed to your canine companion.
What are the Best Dogswell and Nutrisca Dog Food Recipes?
- Nutrisca Grain-Free Salmon & Chickpea Recipe Dry Dog Food – Most Popular
- Dogswell Happy Hips Chicken & Oats Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Nutrisca Grain-Free Lamb & Chickpea Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Dogswell Happy Hips Lamb & Sweet Potato Stew Recipe Grain-Free
- Dogswell Happy Hips Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew Recipe Grain-Free
Brand Quick Look
- Parent Company: Whitebridge Pet Brands
- Founded in: Approx. 2004
- Made in: California USA
- Available at: Chewy and Amazon
- Types of Food: Dry, Canned, and Treats
- Real Meat in First 5 Ingredients? : Yes
- Recalled in Past? : Yes
Behind the Brand
There is little information available online about the company Dogswell itself. What we do know is that Whitebridge Pet Brands has two lines of pet food. One being Dogswell and the other being Nutrisca; we’ll cover a bit about both in this article.
At first glance, it appears that Nutrisca is the higher-end brand of the two with the price being almost double. Both foods focus on specific health issues with your pup like allergies and food sensitivities.
After their buyout by Whitebridge, Dogswell began to focus more on healthy pet treats, and Nutrisca became the primary dry dog food line within the brand.
Both food brands have grain-free offerings and foods with variable protein and fat levels depending on your pup's activity.
What Types of Dog Food Does Dogswell Offer?
Dogswell and Nutrisca have an extensive range of offerings available for purchase on Chewy. Some of their products are also on Amazon.com.
Let’s start with the direct offerings from Dogswell.
The company has three primary choices one being easy to digest grain-free option for pups with gluten sensitivities. They also offer their Vitality blend which is supposed to contain more vitamins and minerals than the traditional formula to provide a more “holistic” balance of ingredients.
The last food they offer is the Happy Hips brand which contains ingredients that help support hip and joint wellness. All of these foods contain real meat as the first ingredient and the list of components in all of their foods is excellent. Nothing stood out to us as a “bad” ingredient, and we would recommend trying any of these foods for your pup.
Here are some of the offerings from Nutrisca.
Nutrisca takes a more catered approach offering only grain-free options with real meat as the first ingredient. This food has an excellent reputation with almost all of their formulas receiving 4.5 stars or higher on Chewy.
Both lines offer dry and moist food options.
- Happy Hips Chicken and Oats (dry)
- Happy Hips Lamb and Sweet Potato (canned)
- Happy Hips Chicken and Sweet Potato (canned)
- Happy Hips Duck and Sweet Potato (canned)
- Vitality Chicken and Oats (dry)
- Vitality Chicken and Sweet Potato (canned)
- Vitality Lamb and Sweet Potato (canned)
- Vitality Duck and Sweet Potato (canned)
- Grain-Free Chicken Stew (canned)
- Grain-Free Turkey Stew (canned)
- Grain-Free Duck (canned)
- Grain-Free Lamb (canned)
- Grain-Free Chicken (canned puppy)
- Salmon and Chickpea (dry)
- Lamb and Chickpea (dry)
- Chicken and Chickpea (dry)
- Chicken and Chickpea (canned)
- Lamb and Chickpea (canned)
- Turkey and Chickpea (canned)
- Duck and Chickpea (canned)
Dogswell Recall History List:
There are a few recalls of the Dogswell and Nutrisca brand. Here they are in reverse chronological order.
- November 2018 – Nutrisca recalls Chicken and Chickpea dry food for containing elevated levels of Vitamin D.
- February 2015 – Nutrisca recalls Chicken and Chickpea dry food for possible salmonella contamination.
- July 2013 – Dogswell recalls certain lines of duck and chicken jerky treats for containing trace amounts of antibiotic residue. According to Dogswell, these treats were made in China.
Dogswell Dog Food Coupons 2020
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Best Dogswell Dog Food Recipes
In this section, we’re going to pick apart one of the food lines from Dogswell to give you a more in-depth look into the ingredients and reputation of the brand. It’s important always to offer your pup the best, and we know that you care about what you're feeding your dog.
We’re going to do our best to give you everything you need to know.
- Overall: 4.3 out of 5
- Ingredients: 4.5 out of 5
- Flavor: 3.5 out of 5
- Packaging: 3.5 out of 5
- Price: 4 out of 5
This line is the most popular brand of Dogswell food on Chewy.com. The food has 65 reviews for a total rating of 4.3 out of 5 with 86% of buyers recommending the food.
When we dive into the reviews, we find that it’s great for picky eaters and the blend has given many pups a new level of energy that is noticeable by their owners.
One thing we cannot get past is the number of negative reviews centered around concerns over the smell. Many reviewers say the food smells like wet paint or plastic, so it not only bothers the pet parent, but the pup smells it as well, so they refuse to eat the food.
Either way, even with the negative reviews the response is overwhelmingly positive about this specific food line.
According to the manufacturer they use cage-free chicken free from growth hormones or added steroids in the food. For healthy hips and joints, they include Glucosamine and Chondroitin in this formula which is known to repair and maintain connective tissue.
First 5 Ingredients:
- Chicken Meal
This is an excellent list of first ingredients, and we also noticed further down the line that the food contains flaxseed and sweet potatoes which are also excellent ingredients to include in your pup's diet.
The food also contains real fruit like apples and blueberries for antioxidants and added vitamins.
Based on their ratings and ingredients it appears that Dogswell Happy Hips is worth a try for you and your pup.
The best way to learn more about a company and their food lines is to read reviews from real customers who have already made the purchase. If you’re unsure if this dog food is right for you and your pup, seeing what other customers are experiencing is a great way to make that final decision.
Many of the positive reviews state that this food has given their dog energy that they never had before. Some customers say that their pups enjoy eating the food and they never fight at mealtime.
Most of the negative reviews center around the smell of the food. As we look into multiple formulas, we find that many customers say all their foods have a strong chemical smell that concerns pet owners.
In this section, we’re taking a look like some of the best and worst reviews of the Dogswell and Nutrisca brand.
My dogs are doing well with this product. (Dogswell Vitality Chicken and Chickpeas)
- My dogs were constantly itching, and we narrowed it down to the brand of food they were eating. We tried various brands, well-known brands at that, and they still itched or seemed to be constantly hungry or refused to eat. Found your food at a supermarket branch and read the ingredients. So I thought I'd have them give it a try. They have stopped itching and eat it up, and they don't constantly act hungry. The only problem now is finding it locally. The supermarket has stopped carrying it; pet stores don't have it, so I have to order it online. Worth it. – Chewy Customer
Dog is bouncy again (Dogswell Happy Hips Chicken and Chickpeas)
- I love what this food has done for my dog. She is active and much happier. She didn't like the taste at first, but she's been on same food for years, I just vamped up adding gravy and juices. And a hint my neighbor gave me was to add parmesan cheese. So I felt like best dog owner ever as I'm grating fresh parm cheese on her food. – Chewy Customer
Chemical smell in dog food (Dogswell Happy Hips Chicken and Chickpeas)
- We have purchased this product for a while with great success with our dogs. In the past couple of months, the dog food has had a weird smell. It has some chemical or plastic smell. The dogs will. It eats the product. We are very dissatisfied. I hope they fix the problem because it helped our dog’s hips. – Chewy Customer
Smells Terrible (Dogswell Vitality Chicken and Chickpeas)
- I don't know why, but this is the worst smelling kibble I've encountered in the last 55 yrs of having dogs. I will not buy it again. – Chewy Customer
Dogswell Food; Let Your Pup Decide
The verdict is still somewhat open on Dogswell because a lot of the negative reviews are somewhat new and it appears that their recent buyout may have had an impact on the quality of the food. Overall, their ratings are fantastic, and there is nothing wrong with the ingredients, but the problem may lie in the new manufacturing plant.
With real meats, fruits, and vegetables taking center stage in this formula we would recommend giving Dogswell food a try. The best thing we could say is if you’re looking for dog food to help your pup gain more energy grab a small bag and see if they like it.