Tried fresh, human-grade food for your dog yet? 60% Off First Order at Ollie. Redeem Offer

Can Dogs Eat Prunes? What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Prunes?

Written by

Raymond Umpa

Reviewed by

Updated on:

Some articles include affiliate links, and we may receive compensation when you make a purchase through these links.
Can Dogs Eat Prunes

Has your dog eaten a piece of dried prune, and you are not sure whether eating prunes is safe for dogs or not? Or are prunes bad? Are prunes good for your dog’s diet? And can dogs eat prunes safely?

We know you have a lot of questions running inside your mind. Don’t worry; you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss the important things that pet parents should know about prunes and dogs.

So, next time you see your pup drinking prune juice, or eating one prune, you already know what to do.

Can Dogs Eat Prunes?

Yes, you can, but you should not feed your dogs prunes intentionally. Or you should simply avoid feeding prunes to your canine buddies because they are essentially just dried plums.

And while plums with their pits removed are not toxic to dogs like raisins and grapes, we can’t disregard the fact that they are unhealthy.

You should not feed dried prunes to your pup because of their high sugar and fiber content, which can only shock your dog’s digestive system.

Chewy Online Dog Supplies

30% Off at

+ Free Shipping

Save Now

A piece or two of this sweet dried fruit might not affect your dog, but too many prunes can cause an upset stomach, as well as the following side effects:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloating
  • Abdominal Cramps
  • Loss of Appetite

Moreover, the high sugar content of prunes is also problematic, not just for diabetic dogs, but for all dogs in general. Again, it’s fine to give your dog prunes as treats, but there are other healthier dog treats that you can make at home, or purchase at your nearest pet shop.

Compared with real fruits that were not dried, prunes have higher sugar content. Hence, feeding your dog prunes or giving him prune fruit juices regularly can lead to unhealthy weight gain, and eventually obesity, and more serious health issues.

Can Dogs Eat Prunes? What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Prunes? 1

Are Prunes Toxic for Dogs?

Prunes, or dried plums, are not toxic to dogs provided that the plum pits have been removed. So, are prunes safe for dogs to eat?

Well, considering that most, if not all prunes, have their pits removed already before dehydration, we can say that dried plums or prunes are safe for dogs in moderation.

However, it’s a different story when your dog ate prunes or plums with their pits still intact. The pits, leaves, and stems of prunes or plums contain a small amount of cyanide, and eating any of these parts can be life threatening for dogs.

You should take your pup to the vet immediately if you suspect that he ate any of these toxic parts.

What Happens If Your Dog Ate Prunes?

If your dog has eaten a pitted prune, or a few prunes with their pits removed, your dog should just be fine. However, as discussed earlier, you should not give your dog prunes regularly as they are high in sugar and has too much fiber.

If you are thinking of giving prunes for your dog’s constipation, it’s best to look for other alternatives such as a cooked mashed pumpkin. It’s not only safer for your pup, but it’s also more nutritious and effective for canine constipation.

Moreover, if your dog has eaten too many prunes at once, there’s a high chance that he will experience diarrhea, loose stools, and other digestive problems, such as vomiting, bloating, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite.

The symptoms should go away after a day or two, but feel free to call your vet for veterinary advice on how to alleviate your dog’s discomfort until he is feeling much better.

Get 60% off your first order


What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Prunes?

Prunes with their pits removed are not toxic to dogs. So, if your dog ate some prunes, don’t panic. Instead, observe his reactions and watch out if he experiences diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

In most cases, dogs get better in a matter of days, but you should definitely call your vet if symptoms persist or become severe.

It’s also best to call your vet if your pup becomes lethargic, and won’t drink water or eat his dog food even if you added some tasty toppings.

Depending on your dog’s situation, your vet may have to administer fluids intravenously or prescribe supplemental feeding to prevent malnutrition and dehydration.

Can Dogs Eat Prunes? What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Prunes? 2

Why Are Prune Pits Dangerous?

Prune pits contain trace amounts of cyanide, which is obviously toxic to dogs. However, it won’t cause a serious problem when your dog only ate a piece of dried prune or plum with its pit still intact.

But if your dog has regular easy access to plums or prunes with pits, the number of pits inside his system can quickly add up even if he only consumes one at a time.

Aside from the toxic side effects of cyanide, prune pits are also hard and indigestible, so, they can easily alter a dog’s digestive system. With their rounded shape and hard consistency, pits are also a choking hazard, especially for smaller dogs.

Additionally, the rough surface of the pit can potentially damage the lining of a dog’s gut causing discomfort and even bleeding.

The pits or stones can also add up inside causing a gastrointestinal blockage, especially for small dogs. Depending on the case, the stones might need to be removed surgically. When left untreated, the blockage can be fatal for pets.

What Happens If Your Dog Ate Prune Pits?

The ingestion of prune pits can be a medical or even surgical emergency for dogs. Hence, you should call your vet immediately for veterinary advice. He will ask about the size of your dog, the estimated number of pits that he consumed, as well as the size of the pits.

Depending on the situation, the vet may ask you to observe your dog closely or to take him to his clinic or the nearest vet so that immediate interventions can be provided.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Can Dogs Eat Pitted Prunes?

Pitted prunes are safer for dogs to eat because they don’t have the pits that contain cyanide. However, we should not forget that they are still prunes, and as mentioned earlier, these dried fruits are not healthy for dogs because of their high sugar and fiber content.

Can You Give Your Dog Prune Juice?

While prune juice doesn’t have the high fiber content that can upset your dog’s stomach, it still contains a high amount of sugar for dogs to consume safely.

Prune juice and any other fruit juices are rich in fructose, which is a type of sugar. And it so happens that a dog’s digestive system isn’t geared to process a large amount of fructose.

Giving your dog prune juice regularly can spike his blood sugar levels, which can put him at risk for diabetes. Your dog may also experience gastrointestinal symptoms, such as vomiting, and diarrhea.

Can Dogs Eat Canned Prunes?

No. Canned prunes have higher sugar content because the prunes are placed inside a can with added juice and/or sauce.

Can You Give Your Dog Prunes for Constipation?

Prunes can act as a natural laxative for us humans. However, if you have a constipated dog, he is better off eating canned pumpkin. You can also use cooked mashed pumpkin as toppings on your dog’s food, or give it to him directly.

And of course, hydration is very important to promote healthy digestion in dogs the same way with us, humans. Hence, you should encourage your dog to drink more water.

If he doesn’t love to drink that much, you can add flavored electrolytes to his water bowl to encourage him to drink.

dried fruits

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Farmers Dog
Scroll to Top