Tried fresh, human-grade food for your dog yet? 60% Off First Order at Ollie. Redeem Offer

Unmasking the Hidden Dangers: Are Mums Toxic to Dogs?

Written by

Mary Nielsen

Reviewed by

Updated on:

Some articles include affiliate links, and we may receive compensation when you make a purchase through these links.
Are Mums Toxic to Dogs

When it comes to our furry companions, ensuring their safety and well-being is of paramount importance. In the midst of our daily lives, we often adorn our homes and gardens with a variety of plants and flowers, such as chrysanthemums. These vibrant and captivating flowers have become synonymous with fall, but an essential question arises: Are mums toxic to dogs?

Mums, short for chrysanthemums, are enchanting and diverse flowering plants that have captured the hearts of gardeners and flower enthusiasts around the world. With their rich tapestry of colors and unique petal shapes, mums have earned their place as one of the most beloved and widely cultivated flowers.

In this exploration, we will delve into the potential dangers that these popular blooms might pose to our canine friends. Understanding the risks and taking precautionary measures is crucial for responsible pet ownership. So, let's uncover the facts about mums and their impact on the health of our beloved four-legged family members.

Are Mums Toxic to Dogs?

While mums are among the most beloved autumn blooms, it's important to note that they are not safe around dogs, cats and horses. Various mum species are considered harmful to both dogs and cats, including dried mums. While scientists classify mums as only “mildly toxic” to pets when compared to more toxic plants, they can still cause skin irritation in susceptible animals. The good news is that mums are seldom life-threatening to pets.

Chrysanthemum Poisoning

Chrysanthemum poisoning in dogs occurs when dogs ingest mums

Pyrethroids, natural insecticides found within specific plants like the chrysanthemum, are synthetic chemicals. Permethrin, the insecticidal component of the chrysanthemum flower, is employed for the natural control of pests. The chrysanthemum goes by various common names, including several types of daisies and mums.

Additionally, products containing permethrin are utilized in pesticides applied to crops, ornamental flowers, buildings, structures, and even clothing. Permethrin is available in various forms, including powders, liquids, aerosol sprays, and treated clothing. This synthetic chemical is also employed to combat head lice and scabies in humans.

Are Mums Toxic to Dogs

Symptoms

Should your dog consume a portion of a chrysanthemum, he might display the subsequent symptoms. The timeframe for these symptoms to manifest varies according to the quantity of the plant consumed. Signs of chrysanthemum poisoning include:

  • Agitation
  • Coughing
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Shaking
  • Clearing the throat
  • Lack of appetite

Causes of Chrysanthemum Poisoning

Pyrethrin belongs to the pyrethroid family, recognized as neurotoxins. The source of pyrethrin poisoning via the chrysanthemum plant occurs when the dog ingests the plant. The origin of pyrethrin toxicity is:

  • Significantly impacting the functioning of the nervous system
  • Interacts with metabolic processes and internal temperature regulation
  • Modifying the ability of nerve membranes to allow specific potassium and sodium ions to pass through

Diagnosing Chrysanthemum Poisoning


If you suspect your dog has ingested chrysanthemum, it is crucial to promptly seek veterinary care. When you arrive at the veterinarian's office, they will inquire about the quantity of the plant consumed and the elapsed time since ingestion.

The need for specific tests depends on the dog's condition. If you are certain that the dog has consumed the plant and is displaying symptoms, the veterinarian will initiate treatment without delay.

However, if the dog is stable and exhibits only mild symptoms, the vet will conduct a comprehensive physical examination, perform blood tests to assess blood glucose levels, monitor the dog's temperature, possibly conduct a urinalysis, and inspect the skin and fur for any traces of the natural chemicals. If such traces are found, the veterinarian may recommend decontamination through a bath.

The veterinarian's expertise in recognizing the symptoms of pyrethrin toxicity, combined with a discussion of your dog's history and exposure to the plant, and an evaluation of the clinical signs, will guide the treatment approach.

Unmasking the Hidden Dangers: Are Mums Toxic to Dogs? 1

Treatment Plan

Treatment is tailored to the level of toxicity and the symptoms displayed by your dog. Initially, the veterinarian may administer activated charcoal to facilitate the absorption of pyrethrin. Additional methods for managing chrysanthemum poisoning in dogs may include:

Muscle Relaxants
Muscle relaxants, such as methocarbamol, can effectively alleviate any tremors or shaking your dog may experience. Multiple administrations of methocarbamol might be necessary.

Anti-Seizure Drugs
If your dog is experiencing seizures, the veterinarian may opt to administer anti-seizure medications, such as Pentobarbital or diazepam.

IV Fluids
Intravenous (IV) fluids may be provided to stabilize your dog's system, maintain hydration, and support kidney function in eliminating the toxic substance.

Monitoring
In cases of moderate to severe toxicity, your dog may require hospitalization for approximately two days. During this period, the veterinarian will closely monitor various aspects, including blood glucose levels, temperature regulation to prevent hypothermia, as well as kidney and liver function. This vigilant oversight is essential to ensure your pet's recovery.

Recovery from Mum Toxicity

Regarding the recovery process, if your dog positively responds to treatment, the outlook is favorable. After bringing your dog home from the hospital, you'll receive guidance on how to provide proper care at home, including instructions for administering any prescribed medications.

Additionally, the veterinarian may recommend follow-up appointments to monitor your dog's recovery progress. At home, it's essential to maintain vigilant observation, watching for any potential new symptoms that may arise. If your dog exhibits any new symptoms, prompt communication with your veterinarian is crucial.

To prevent such incidents, it is of utmost importance to ensure that chrysanthemums and other toxic plants are not present in your home. Vigilance in maintaining a safe environment for your pet is paramount.

Unmasking the Hidden Dangers: Are Mums Toxic to Dogs? 2

Last Words

In conclusion, understanding the potential toxicity of mums to dogs is a vital aspect of responsible pet ownership. While these beautiful fall flowers may grace our homes and gardens, they can pose a threat to our furry companions. Recognizing the signs of chrysanthemum poisoning and promptly seeking veterinary care can make all the difference in ensuring our dogs' well-being.

As we enjoy the beauty of these blooms, let's also ensure the safety of our four-legged friends by keeping them out of reach of any potentially harmful plants. With knowledge and vigilance, we can create a nurturing environment for our beloved canine companions, where both their health and happiness can flourish.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Farmers Dog
Scroll to Top